• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel won’t eat, growing weaker (sad update #6)

tielschick

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ariel
Hi, I’m new to the forum, shame this is my first post. I’ll try to be as detailed as possible. My cockatiel suffered a vent prolapse two days ago, we brought to the avian vet ASAP, who sutured her cloaca and provided us with the following medication:
- Baytril antibiotics
- Meloxicam painkillers
- Multivitamins supplement
- Calcium

For the last day or so, she has not eaten and only drinks every once in a while. She often sits in the corner of her cage and closes her eyes. When we try to force feed her, she will not eat and instead spits out her food.

I am unsure of whether this is due to stress or if there are other reasons for why this has occurred and hope someone can get to me as soon as possible.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Have you tried feeding her bird formula? Either with spoon or syringe.

tielschick

Real Name
Ariel
As of now she is eating her seeds and drinking water but she does not eat the baby formula when I feed to her on a spoon.

tielschick

Real Name
Ariel
Hi, that post was made by my sister, I'm realising it’s slightly vague. Initially we brought her to the vet for the suture, then as soon as we got back, her cloaca prolapsed again which prompted a second vet visit. After the vet visit we attempted to feed her the medications and supplements provided, but noticed she wasn’t eating anymore.

We tried to syringe feed her, but she wouldn’t take to the syringe and got rather stressed out by the whole thing so we stopped the syringe feeding. The stress has taken its toll on her (i’m very frustrated that we didn’t stop this sooner, we should’ve known better), and she’s now perched quietly on her branch, and is clearly weak. We’ve managed to get some few seeds in her system and DIY electrolyte water. (I‘ve just come back from the grocery store with Pediakid not Pedialyte, we unfortunately don’t have Pedialyte here, and I’m hoping to add some Pediakid in her water. I’ll attach the ingredient list.)

We’re forbidden from getting her to the vet again because of our parents, they insist it isn’t worth it and will only stress her out further. So currently we’re taking turns offering her food, water and medication, though she still isn’t eating much. Is there anything else we can do? Or is there anything else we should look out for?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there anything else we can do? Or is there anything else we should look out for?
Weigh her.
Look for weight loss.
If her weight drops, and she doesn´t take the food, she will need to be gavage fed. You will need a professional or someone very experienced to do tis or teach you how (youtube videos don´t quite cut it). A vet or professional breeder will be able to help teach you, possibly someone experienced in a local parrot club may be able to help.

tielschick

Real Name
Ariel
Hi all,

Pachi improved over the last few days, but very suddenly deteriorated again tonight. We found her dead at the base of her cage two hours ago, she was only three years old. We’ve decided to request an autopsy for closure, as the death was sudden and unexpected, though our wishes are once again contested by our parents.

We’re in a lot of pain currently, and are working through the grieving process. Thank you all for your help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran