• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel with slight limp, he can't bear weight on right foot

dreamjoy

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone, I noticed an unusual behavior 4 days ago where he would immediately lift his right foot as soon as he perches on my finger. At first I thought he is more inclined to rest these days but yesterday I noticed that he was limping. I examined him but couldn't see any wound or color change so I assumed it must be a sprain that can heal with time. He has been his normal self, playing, flying, eating. He is 2 years old with a previous history of megabac which was treated when he was 4 months old.
But today I noticed that the joint where the leg bends is swollen in that leg and maybe has a purple tint.
I fought with my boyfriend who insists this is nothing. He refuses to drive us to the vet. I have been unemployed for the last 3 months and while I am concerned of the cost, I will be taking an uber to the ER today. I wish to hear if anybody had a similar experience and the course that vets take in such cases. What kind of tests would they be running?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Unless its an avian emergency vet I would hold off for an avain veterinarian appointment.

Can you share a picture?

Sorry your little one has an issue with leg

dreamjoy

So I got an avian vet appointment for Tuesday but I am not sure Elfie can wait that long. For the emergency, they admit through ER but then consult to the avian vet and from there they take over. Basically it is a very costly avian vet appointment.
I can tell the swelling and color change by comparing to the other joint but I could only capture one leg at a time! I hope you can see it too.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I csn see that he is down on the hock and some swelling.

I would put a towel on the bottom of his cage and remove all perches. To reduce stress on the joint. I would also try to limit him moving around. Maybe keep him caged unless he is sitting with you.

dreamjoy

We just came back from the vet. I was told by emergency that it wasn't an emergency! So I will be waiting for Tuesday appointment. Mostly because he is very energetic and there isn't bruising around swelling. They were actually surprised that I was even able to catch the swelling. On Tuesday they will take a fluid sample from there. They suspect trauma, gout or arthyritis but they said probably not gout since he is young.
I heard the same suggestion so I will take out the perches and put a towel, give him cage rest time. Thank you! I will update here as much as I can.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
O hope us mild snd all better soon :heart2: