• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel with broken blood tail feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry if this isn't supposed to be here, but feel free to move it.

I just went into the bird room to feed the birds, and I was checking out the female Cockatiels cage and noticed blood all over the bottom of the cage, I thought one of them was bleeding from the vent, but on further inspection, I noticed Rosalie has blood all over her tail. I got her out and it appears she has only snapped a tiny bit (not completely) and the follicle is obviously full of blood too.

Not sure what to do here? it is not dangling off, it is still attached. I have no idea how on earth she has done it, not a night fright 'cause the bird room light is on and they weren't in bed, and they are in a huge flight cage. It is not currently bleeding either, the blood is dry.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Clean her up and watch it...they can land wrong and break them...
IF it starts bleeding again, I would suggest pulling the feather...and if you need guidance in that, let us know...:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Is she any better?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I kept her in a cage by herself overnight, it hasn't bleed again, but she is fine. Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.