• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cockatiel with broken beak

FrostyBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adrian
I'm new here so I'm really sorry if this post isn't formatted correctly lol. So, I volunteer at a parrot shelter. Because there was no vet available at the time, someone brought their cockatiel in with a serious beak injury. The lower beak is just hanging on by a thread, I've got him eating formula on his own now. He will be seeing a vet tomorrow. The issue is, the entire lower beak will inevitably need to be removed. Can a cockatiel reasonably survive without a completely missing lower beak? (a prosthetic is likely not an option). If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I've seen birds survive without the upper beak before but not without the lower :no:

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Adrian,

Just my thoughts here, but if the beak won´t regrow then they may need to be syringe fed, or fed mashed food on a plate. They would need an owner who has the time for such around the clock care.

I hope everything goes smoothly at the vet for this little one.

Tweetie

Moving in
I'm new here so I'm really sorry if this post isn't formatted correctly lol. So, I volunteer at a parrot shelter. Because there was no vet available at the time, someone brought their cockatiel in with a serious beak injury. The lower beak is just hanging on by a thread, I've got him eating formula on his own now. He will be seeing a vet tomorrow. The issue is, the entire lower beak will inevitably need to be removed. Can a cockatiel reasonably survive without a completely missing lower beak? (a prosthetic is likely not an option). If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I've seen birds survive without the upper beak before but not without the lower :no:
Could you please update any information on the condition of this cockatiel's beak. I currently have a parrotlet with a severe lower beak injury. thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Could you please update any information on the condition of this cockatiel's beak. I currently have a parrotlet with a severe lower beak injury. thanks
Not sure you’ll get a reply here, this member has not posted here since making this one post.