• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Weaning/Hand Feeding

snapandrew

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sammi
Hi there! I'm getting a cockatiel very soon and I may get one that is only 3 - 4 weeks old. I've been doing a lot of research about weaning but I still have questions.
What should I hand feed the cockatiel?
How/when do I start the weaning process?
How long does the weaning process take?

Thanks !
Sammi

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I strongly suggest letting the breeder take care of the bird until he is weaned. So many things can go wrong. And really a breeder should not be selling a baby that young (assuming you're getting the baby from a breeder).

However, if that isn't an option, this is a good resource: Handfeeding Cockatiels, Hand Feeding Cockatiels, baby birds, chicks, Crop Burn, Punctured Esophagus, Slow Gut,
Sour Crop, Aspiration, Pneumonia, Aspergilliosis, Candidiasis, Yeast Infections, Subcutaneous Emphysema, Unweaned Baby Birds, handfeeding baby birds, hand feeding baby birds, hand feeding chicks, handfeeding chicks, hand feeding problems, handfeeding problems, handfeeding, hand feeding,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :)

What should I hand feed the cockatiel?
How/when do I start the weaning process?
Just with these questions, it may be best to speak with the breeder and ask if you can pick up the bird once he is weaned.
It is safer and won´t affect the relationship between you and the bird.

That´s a good link posted in prev. comment, I highly recommend you read it.

Where I live, breeders give you the food (formula) the chicks are eating. Just remember the formula must be at the perfect temp, too hot will burn the bird, too cold can give them sour crop/yeast infection. Also it is important that you feed correctly to avoid food entering the windpipe, causing the bird to aspirate.

Sorry I can´t help you on dates etc. I have gifted 3 of my lovebirds chicks to a couple of friends, and none left my sight before 6 weeks old.

I weaned 7/7 of my chicks with millet with no issues. I am now on the 8th, he is weaning fine on millet, I tried sprouts but he wouldn´t take.

Others like to use soaked pellets, blueberries, mashed sweet potato, broccoli, things like that.

Last edited:

snapandrew

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sammi
Question - what is an adequate age to get a cockatiel at? And what age is considered as an adult cockatiel?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also recommend getting a fully weaned bird. I think 8 weeks would be the absolute earliest, but later is better. It all depends on the bird. Some birds don’t fully wean until 12 weeks. I got two of my birds at 12 weeks, and I have wonderful relationships with them. If you can visit the baby a couple times a week so he/she can get to know you, that’s even better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Question - what is an adequate age to get a cockatiel at? And what age is considered as an adult cockatiel?
I agree with @Tiel Feathers , at the earliest tiels wean at 8 weeks, but really 12 weeks is a much safer time period. Also, it is common for newly weaned tiels to regress from the stress of a new home and need hand feedings again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also something to consider is time.

Do you work or go to school? You will need to be able to get home to feed that baby for the next month or so.

I have been handfeeding my lovebird for 9 weeks, usually they wean around 6 weeks but evidently not always. I would not have been able to do that if I didn´t work from home.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Cockatiels are weened when they are fully eatting on their own for two weeks. I suggest waiting until the bird is completely weened before bringing him or her home. It is not easy to handfeed a bird.

The earliest time you can buy a fully weened tiel should be around 2 months. Some take longer to ween then others. A handraised cockatiel will generally be a sweet bird regardless if you get it at 2 months or 5 months. Just remember they are all individuals with unique personalities! Not every bird is going to want to be cuddled all the time, or handled all the time. When i first got my tiel she wanted to play more then cuddle (be touched on the head) until she got to the age of 6-8 months. Thats okay and its fun to watch them learn and play! You can also do fun bonding trick training, and you can put toys around your neck or clip on your shirt and the playful bird may gladly play on you :D Letting them have some independance is good too, they need to learn to play alone when you are too busy.

An young adult cockatiel for a male is 12 months - female is 18 months. Even if you got the bird at the age of a year old, I'm sure it would still be sweet, just much more shy at first.