• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Waving Feet While Hissing

Sasha lie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sasha
Hello, everybody. So I'm a new-ish cockatiel owner. My experience so far had been fantastic and one thing that I found useful in my adventure with Naga (my male normal grey) is that it really helps to learn from people who had years more experiences with their bird, by understanding body language and sounds.

But I can't seems to figure this one out. Is this one of those stay-away-from-me-I'm-not-comfortable, something stronger like he's really angry now, or something else? He's hissing while waving his feet.

This was taken a while ago and now he's a very happy 'tiel who enjoy good head scratches. Still, my curiosity is eating me alive since I wanted to at least know what he was trying to say.

Here's the link:

A bit of background about the video:
I was cleaning the surface of my table with paper napkin from last night birdy dinner mess and he started hissing and waving. He probably end up using it as a way to beg for some treats because I clicker clicked when he did that the first time. He never did that anymore since I taught him more tricks. The one he did the first time is exactly the same. I'd appreaciate it if someone could tell me what it's originally means because I cannot find this behaviour in any blog or youtube video (at least from my search result).

Thank you in advance :)

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a bit hard to tell because I can't see the video well, but he seems miffed to me. A pinned crest and open beak are 'tiel language for "I'm upset".

Is the hissing sharp and pointed, or more of a repeating and raspy sound? If it's the latter, he may just be mimicking you wiping down the table. My boy loves to mimic the sound of me cleaning off my keyboard.