• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel wants to be mommy, smelly odor. Re-arranging didn t help

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Hey, how can i stop my cockatiel from being mommy. She has no cock around so the eggs are infertile (3 eggs she has). I want to stop her because she is aggressive and ashe smells rlly bad (baths don t work lol). Re-arranging the cage didn t work at all.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Where is she laying the eggs? Does she have a nest? I'm she has something if she has 3 eggs in it.

Something you can do is give her more nighttime hours, like 16 hours of darkness.

What's her diet like? Are you supplementing her diet to replace nutrients lost laying eggs?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Take away any perceived nest sites, and leave the eggs on a folded paper towel. She might lay one egg every other day until she has a full clutch. Let her sit on the eggs if she wants to, and only toss them after she abandons them. Dummy eggs are helpful to have on hand. You can rearrange her cage, move her cage to another location, and take her out to give her exercise and give her a bath, if she will take one. Make sure you clean the cage every day and make sure she is eating okay. Does she eat pellets?

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Take away any perceived nest sites, and leave the eggs on a folded paper towel. She might lay one egg every other day until she has a full clutch. Let her sit on the eggs if she wants to, and only toss them after she abandons them. Dummy eggs are helpful to have on hand. You can rearrange her cage, move her cage to another location, and take her out to give her exercise and give her a bath, if she will take one. Make sure you clean the cage every day and make sure she is eating okay. Does she eat pellets?
The diet is mostly out of pellets, yes.

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Where is she laying the eggs? Does she have a nest? I'm she has something if she has 3 eggs in it.

Something you can do is give her more nighttime hours, like 16 hours of darkness.

What's her diet like? Are you supplementing her diet to replace nutrients lost laying eggs?
She s basically laying them on the floor of the cage, no nest, she doesn t even like a soft paper towel to sit on it.

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
i have the same issue. My hen has laid 9 eggs already! she does not have a nesting box. She just find a random dark place ( under the bed, or sofa) and lays egg. And if i dont let her get out of her cage she would just lay eggs in the cage. And if i place those eggs in the cage on some towel she just screams all day. But if i place those eggs under my bed she would just sit on them all day. She is only 13 months old and i dont have a male. im so worried.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The diet is mostly out of pellets, yes.
It’s good she’s eating pellets while laying. FYI, pellets should only make up at most 50% of a tiels diet, with the rest being seeds and fresh foods.
i have the same issue. My hen has laid 9 eggs already! she does not have a nesting box. She just find a random dark place ( under the bed, or sofa) and lays egg. And if i dont let her get out of her cage she would just lay eggs in the cage. And if i place those eggs in the cage on some towel she just screams all day. But if i place those eggs under my bed she would just sit on them all day. She is only 13 months old and i dont have a male. im so worried.
I would put the eggs in her cage and block off the area under your bed, or any other cozy places. Eventually she will stop screaming about the lack of a nest. You can let her out to play as normal to distract her. To prevent her from laying in the future, make sure there is nothing near her that she can think of as a nest, (even anything she can’t get to, but can see) make sure her cage is nice and bright, rearrange her cage often, don’t pet her anywhere but her head, and make the bottom of her cage and any food bowls inhospitable for nesting.

Airman21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Balan Andrei
Hey, i didn t keep u guys updated, but i took away her eggs and she is back to normal.