• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel walking on her ankle?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Does anyone have a bird who stands on her ankles? I just noticed that my bird is always resting on her ankle when she's eating on not on the perch. I've heard that it's a deformity and there's nothing to worry about. Some lady had the same problem with her bird (not cockatiel) and her bird had a noticable more muscle on the foot that he would favor. The same thing is happening with my bird. She has bumblefoot that covers her ankles. We took her to the vet back in September and the vet told us that something is touching her ankle that's why she developed bumblefoot. Her feet are getting better, it's a slow progress but it's definitely getting better. I was so get so discouraged because her feet were not healing the 4 weeks later she was diagnosed. She's receiving treatment so it's all good. I'm just concerned about the foot that's thicker than the other foot. I've heard that this kind of deformity can cause soreness in ankle because the weight is not distributed properly. She's always favoring the foot that's thicker. She eats with that foot, stands on that foot, sleeps on it etc. She never uses the other foot because the bumblefoot was so severe she just kinda forgot about it. Does anyone have a cockatiel who walks and stands on their ankles?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can not picture what you mean, is there a way you can post a picture of the way your bird stands?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I can not picture what you mean, is there a way you can post a picture of the way your bird stands?
At the moment I can't, but I will later. She's asleep right now. It's night time where i live :(. Maybe I should do a better job explaining what I mean. Most bird stand firm on their feet with their ankle upright and not touching the ground. However, my bird walks with her ankle low. I wanted to know what I can do to stop this because I think this is what might've caused her bumblefoot in the first place. My other bird doesn't do this. I would like to add that might bird is a little lazy haha or she finds shortcuts in whatever she does. For example she hates using her point part of the beak to break food apart, instead she uses the side of her beak (very bad habit) as it doesn't sharpen her beak and it just keeps growing. She's a lazy birb but she's very smart. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
How old is she? It may be that something is bothering her and causing her to sit/walk like that. Vet check? If she were mine, I would modify her surroundings with softer perching areas and see if there is a difference after a few weeks. If she's older, it could be arthritis...tumeric could help.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
How old is she? It may be that something is bothering her and causing her to sit/walk like that. Vet check? If she were mine, I would modify her surroundings with softer perching areas and see if there is a difference after a few weeks. If she's older, it could be arthritis...tumeric could help.
Shes 7

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Has she always walked like this?

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Has she always walked like this?
I'm not sure. It's only the right side of her foot. I think bumblefoot messed up her feet because it was never like this until she developed bumblefoot. My thinking is that because of the severity of her bumblefoot, she had to rely on foot than the other and later it became inflamed because all her weight was on that foot. Im thinking about getting new food bowls so she can reach food using her ankles.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think I would try the softer and varied perching options. You could also try celebrex although not recommend for extended periods. Dr. Orosz likes for them to be off for a little while. Metacam is helpful for pain as well. If you try one of those and she does better, you'll know if its a pain reaction.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will ask again have you taken your bird to an avian vet for a diagnosis? She could be in pain.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Could you post a pic? My Henkie walks on his ankle sort off Some of the time as his feet don’t function completely. Try making her environment softer like the other suggested:)

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good luck with the vet. I hope they can help her.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think it is a good idea to have your vet look at it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Especially video... if you can record it on your phone and bring it in for the vet to see (in case she won't replicate the issue in a scary/unfamiliar place).

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
@krupali any updates? Hope your Bird is ok.
I'm going to take her to the vet on monday. I think the bumblefoot keeps recurring but what's weird is that one side was completely healed and now it's infected again. The infection came back when we put the no mess food bowls back in their cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What do you mean the infection came back after you put bowls back? Do you think it is related to the bowls? Do you have more than one perch or only the perch that came with the cage?