• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel vomiting

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
Hello , my tiel was fine all the day but suddenly in the night she got sick I noticed that by her getting in the position to sleep in the cage and her eyes were half closed and very quiet and she refused to go out at first , then when she went out and came to my chest she suddenly started to shake her head and vomited the seeds and after that I gave her water to drink but she didn't eat much , and the poop is liquid too , what can be the cause of that ? there is no vet available to take her now , and the one I called said maybe she got sick from cold since lately in my country it got so cold suddenly , can this be the reason ? or can be because of something she ate or something ? I'm just freaking out about this

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It sounds like a vet is definitely going to be needed, she doesn’t sound well at all. When is the earliest you can get to one? How’s she acting now?

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
It sounds like a vet is definitely going to be needed, she doesn’t sound well at all. When is the earliest you can get to one? How’s she acting now?
Only tomorrow in morning , now she wanted to sleep she was looking at the cage and when I put her she directly stayed in sleep postion and I turned off the lighs , after vomiting she seems a little better and her eyes a little more open but she still don't feel good

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Keep your bird as warm as you can, turn up the heat if possible to 25 -26 degrees Celsius. Keep a blanket around the cage with the front uncovered. Or put the bird in a smaller travel cage if possible, make sure the food and water avery close to him or her. When my bird got sick, I would clip a stick of millet next to the perch he rested on.

When it is colder a bird is more susceptible to bacteria and illness, if the bird is not accustomed to the cold. I think I read below 4 degrees Celsius is when it gets more dangerous.

liquid poops does mean the bird is not eating much or at all, so try offering some warm vege mash or pellet dust mixed with a bit of water, or anything at all the bird loves to eat from your fingertips, if the bird is tame.

if you have a syringe and was taught how, you can syringe feed a small amount at a time, to the bird.

Do realize that the bird needs to eat very soon, and most likely needs medicine for bacteria.

when my bird first got sick, I brought it to the vet the next day, and was instructed how to syringe feed, while the antibiotics took their time to work. It usually took 3-4 days for my budgie to start eating after antibiotics. My bird got sick once a year for four years which is why I learned this. He pulled through with antibiotics until he got sick at the age of 11, then didn’t make it through.

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
Keep your bird as warm as you can, turn up the heat if possible to 25 -26 degrees Celsius. Keep a blanket around the cage with the front uncovered. Or put the bird in a smaller travel cage if possible, make sure the food and water avery close to him or her. When my bird got sick, I would clip a stick of millet next to the perch he rested on.

When it is colder a bird is more susceptible to bacteria and illness, if the bird is not accustomed to the cold. I think I read below 4 degrees Celsius is when it gets more dangerous.

liquid poops does mean the bird is not eating much or at all, so try offering some warm vege mash or pellet dust mixed with a bit of water, or anything at all the bird loves to eat from your fingertips, if the bird is tame.

if you have a syringe and was taught how, you can syringe feed a small amount at a time, to the bird.

Do realize that the bird needs to eat very soon, and most likely needs medicine for bacteria.

when my bird first got sick, I brought it to the vet the next day, and was instructed how to syringe feed, while the antibiotics took their time to work. It usually took 3-4 days for my budgie to start eating after antibiotics. My bird got sick once a year for four years which is why I learned this. He pulled through with antibiotics until he got sick at the age of 11, then didn’t make it through.
Thank you for the instructions ! for update she woke up feeling little better today , she ate and drink and preen and asked me to get her out of the cage as usual, she is more active but still she feels tired and not in the mood ( her eyes are more open but still not 100% as usual)

I didn't take her to the vet because it was so cold outside today and i had no transport and didn't want to get her out in this cold and make her worse since she felt better , but since she feels better do i still have to taker her to the vet tomorrow ? she is eating as usual now and her poop returned to normal and she didn't vomit again just as i mentioned still feel tired or maybe cold

it was so cold lately and below 5 degree at night , the cold was sudden since 2 weeks ago it wasn't this much cold , so as i understand cold can be the reason for what's happening to her ? we don't use the heater usually but I will use it now to warm the room a little bit , she is not used for a blanket inaround the cage I'm afraid that she would get scared if i do it , how can i make her used to it without getting scared ? or i just have to put her in her small cage for now ?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Well, usually people cover their birds with a blanket at night on the side facing the window so the bird doesn’t wake up super early and gets 12 hours of rest. At this point though, I would maybe just introduce the blanket someplace close by for a few hours then attempt to cover just one side at first. Move slow and see how she reacts before you put it on. Big cage or small, would be better with a blanket. It’s a good sign she is eating now!

I mean if she suddenly got back to her normal self tomorrow maybe I wouldn’t take her, but I’m not sure. Did you change her diet recently or has the bird had motion sickness from travelling the day it vomit?

I’m a little confused, why don’t you use the heater during cold weather?

Last edited:

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
Well, usually people cover their birds with a blanket at night on the side facing the window so the bird doesn’t wake up super early and gets 12 hours of rest. At this point though, I would maybe just introduce the blanket someplace close by for a few hours then attempt to cover just one side at first. Move slow and see how she reacts before you put it on. Big cage or small, would be better with a blanket. It’s a good sign she is eating now!

I mean if she suddenly got back to her normal self tomorrow maybe I wouldn’t take her, but I’m not sure. Did you change her diet recently or has the bird had motion sickness from travelling the day it vomit?

I’m a little confused, why don’t you use the heater during cold weather?
Thank you , I will try to do that with the blanket and see if she can adapt to it , but does it have to be a big blanket ?

she came back to normal today and was active as usual , I didn't change her diet recently , I offer her the seeds as usual and sometimes she eat pea and there was no travelling ( the seeds were new though ,bought them last week I was doubting if they can be the reason but they don't look bad I think ), the only thing change is my brother came back that day from other country and my family didn't pay much attention to her as they used to, but I don't think this was behind what happened since she vomited and not just depressed?

about the heater , the thing is in my country overall winter is not that cold , we just have like for example 20 days in winter that can be so cold like these days now, so people rarely use the heater here in winter since not all of it is so cold ,but I'm using it now just to make the room warmer for her

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Thank you , I will try to do that with the blanket and see if she can adapt to it , but does it have to be a big blanket ?

she came back to normal today and was active as usual , I didn't change her diet recently , I offer her the seeds as usual and sometimes she eat pea and there was no travelling ( the seeds were new though ,bought them last week I was doubting if they can be the reason but they don't look bad I think ), the only thing change is my brother came back that day from other country and my family didn't pay much attention to her as they used to, but I don't think this was behind what happened since she vomited and not just depressed?

about the heater , the thing is in my country overall winter is not that cold , we just have like for example 20 days in winter that can be so cold like these days now, so people rarely use the heater here in winter since not all of it is so cold ,but I'm using it now just to make the room warmer for her
I use a smaller blanket for my bird cage. New diets may cause a bird to vomit. But so can illness. Keep a close eye on her. Hope she stays warm and healthy.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If she's still not back to herself now, I would be taking her to an avian vet.
Better safe than sorry. Just my thoughts.
Some medicine and antibiotics would help her right now rather than waiting.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I second this!

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
I use a smaller blanket for my bird cage. New diets may cause a bird to vomit. But so can illness. Keep a close eye on her. Hope she stays warm and healthy.
Thank you ! I will be keeping close eye on her in case something happens , I'm warming the room now and will try to use small blanket to cover the cage

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
She is actually back to her normal self now , she eat and drink and play everything as usual , today was even more active than the day before and was enjoying when she fly ,but even though she back to normal I plan to take her to the vet to check on her in general ,just waiting now for the weather to be a little warmer

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
She is actually back to her normal self now , she eat and drink and play everything as usual , today was even more active than the day before and was enjoying when she fly ,but even though she back to normal I plan to take her to the vet to check on her in general ,just waiting now for the weather to be a little warmer
I'm glad to hear she's better :)