• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel vomiting/regurgitating undigested pellet

pikka12

Checking out the neighborhood
My 2 year old lutino female cockatiel has been vomiting/regurgitating undigested pellet recently (see picture for reference). I am feeding her "Smartheart" pellets for parrots that we crushed manually. What could possibly be the reason for this behavior?
1663099167117.png 1663099190055.png

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Why do you crush the pellets? Breeding season just needed she might be hormonal. Where are you petting her? maybe you’re stimulating it. @Zara @Pixiebeak might help more

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Vomiting is not the same as regurgitation, that does not look like vomit to me.
How often is this happening?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
this is not normal. Would recommend veterinarian check.
Monitor weight and poop.
Ideas I throw out,
if he doesn't have free access to food all day, and then you feed he is gorging ...if so start free choice.

Make sure has water. Abd if a dispenser is not clogged...which happens

If this is a newish food to him perhaps it doesn't agree with him. Go back to previous food and then find a new pellet to offer if this is true.

Its possible a crop issue, like a yeast or bacterial infection. Or a partial obstruction/stricture.
No matter what may be i urge a veterinarian consultation and show them the pictures.

You can try offering baby burd formula at beak tip with 1ml or 3 ml syringe giving 0.25ml at times him take not force , or offer from your fingers. For adults I make it thicker like yogurt but they still like and take better nice and warm. Because near quaker size I would expect to take 1 ml to 7ml at a time. I still recommend veterinarian exam. But until you can get in you can try and see if this is kept down. Once a day as supportive. 2-3 times a day if not eating. So as a trial 1-7ml once a day not forced . If loosing weight 2 times a day fir estimate 10-14ml as a daily total. Use digital kitchen scale check weight 1st thing in morning.

The only times I've had regurgitate ( not the Hormonal creamy kind ) my burds have had crop yeast infection

pikka12

Why do you crush the pellets? Breeding season just needed she might be hormonal. Where are you petting her? maybe you’re stimulating it. @Zara @Pixiebeak might help more
Hi, we crush the pellet for her because sometimes we can see her having a hard time nibbling on the pellets and kinda spill around the food dish. Regarding the breeding season, recently she's been doing what they call a "mating call", atleast what I assumed from researching what a female cockatiel mating call is. The behavior and the sound she makes looks exactly from what they describe and watched from videos.

pikka12

Vomiting is not the same as regurgitation, that does not look like vomit to me.
How often is this happening?
Hello, I though so too, since most of the vomit I see online are mostly are in dense liquid form, thanks for the confirmation. She does it just recently, around five days ago, but in those five days sometimes she doesn't do it at all.

pikka12

this is not normal. Would recommend veterinarian check.
Monitor weight and poop.
Ideas I throw out,
if he doesn't have free access to food all day, and then you feed he is gorging ...if so start free choice.

Make sure has water. Abd if a dispenser is not clogged...which happens

If this is a newish food to him perhaps it doesn't agree with him. Go back to previous food and then find a new pellet to offer if this is true.

Its possible a crop issue, like a yeast or bacterial infection. Or a partial obstruction/stricture.
No matter what may be i urge a veterinarian consultation and show them the pictures.

You can try offering baby burd formula at beak tip with 1ml or 3 ml syringe giving 0.25ml at times him take not force , or offer from your fingers. For adults I make it thicker like yogurt but they still like and take better nice and warm. Because near quaker size I would expect to take 1 ml to 7ml at a time. I still recommend veterinarian exam. But until you can get in you can try and see if this is kept down. Once a day as supportive. 2-3 times a day if not eating. So as a trial 1-7ml once a day not forced . If loosing weight 2 times a day fir estimate 10-14ml as a daily total. Use digital kitchen scale check weight 1st thing in morning.

The only times I've had regurgitate ( not the Hormonal creamy kind ) my burds have had crop yeast infection
Hello, thanks for the wonderful advice. We are planning to get her to the vet on the weekends. As far as the food and water condition, we always make sure that her food and water dish is never empty. The pellets are not new to her since we've been feeding her the pellets for about a year now. Regarding her weight, we will try to monitor it. Her poop looks normal as far as I can tell, base on the color and shape. If she starts loosing weight, we will start to feed her a bird formula.