• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel vomited - pls help

FurFeather

Moving in
Hello, I’m new here. I need some help. Earlier today one of my cockatiels vomited and had watery droppings (some normal green fecal matter with white Urates and mostly urine). I was about to check a blood feather on him when he got spooked and started flying about and then landed on the cage and then threw up whitish semi-hard liquid with some seeds. He had loose droppings for an hour or so but now both symptoms have stopped. He is eating fine and is active. He is also beak grinding as it is nearly bed time. But I am concerned, I even texted the vet but got no response yet. Was it because he was scared or is it something more serious? Please help, thank you

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Could have been because he was frightened. Wait until morning and see how he is before you worry too much.

FurFeather

Moving in
yeah I totally understand I tend to worry about the birds a lot because they’re very delicate and the slightest thing could turn serious quickly. But I’ve been watching since he vomited 3 hours ago and he has been normal since. Will keep a watch on the next day as well and keep posted. Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hopefully this was a one time event.

FurFeather

Moving in
Same here. I’ve never seen either of them vomit before (I’ve had them for a month now). I’ve been monitoring him this evening. He pooped right in front of me about a minute ago and it looked normal, He is perching on the highest branch in the cage where he normally sleeps, so hopefully it was nothing serious. Just completely unexpected.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you sure it was vomiting and not regurgitating? Regurgitating is like he is forcing something up his throat. Vomiting is more uncontrolled with head shaking

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Are you sure it was vomiting and not regurgitating? Regurgitating is like he is forcing something up his throat. Vomiting is more uncontrolled with head shaking
Yeah I agree it is more than likely regurgitation as you mentioned that there were seeds inside whereas with vomit it's just liquid. Also with vomit it tends to get on the birds face and gets stuck there.

FurFeather

Moving in
I think it was vomit for sure because he shook his head pretty aggressively from side to side n it flew everywhere. I’ve seen regurgitation because I used to have budgies and they did it to each other. This was definitely not regurgitation

FurFeather

Moving in
Yeah I agree it is more than likely regurgitation as you mentioned that there were seeds inside whereas with vomit it's just liquid. Also with vomit it tends to get on the birds face and gets stuck there.
it didn’t get on his face but it got on the cage bars, the floor, some on the shelf near the cage. He shook his head pretty aggressively from side to side when it happened

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
e it is more than likely regurgitation as you mentioned that there were seeds inside
Vomit can have seeds in too.

Maybe a seed was irritating his crop. My lovebird boy Sydney was sick recently, was acting spookishly weird then vomited. Turned out there was nothing wrong with him, vet swabebd him and checked poops etc. A seed irritating the crop or just a freak illness is all I have to explain what happened to my bird... so maybe something similar for you... Keep an eye on your little one but hopefully it was just one of those things and he is ok now :)

FurFeather

Moving in
He seems to be okay now and all of today. Poop was normal and no more vomit since the last time yesterday afternoon. Appetite is good as well

Vomit can have seeds in too.

Maybe a seed was irritating his crop. My lovebird boy Sydney was sick recently, was acting spookishly weird then vomited. Turned out there was nothing wrong with him, vet swabebd him and checked poops etc. A seed irritating the crop or just a freak illness is all I have to explain what happened to my bird... so maybe something similar for you... Keep an eye on your little one but hopefully it was just one of those things and he is ok now :)