• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel very sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Hi! here is curlly one. We have a very sick Tiel. It was siezed from a very grotty cage. And bought in to us.
The vet said take it home to die!
It has been on Baytril and the Bacteria infection has not improved.
It has fluid in it's throat and very weak. I do not know how it is hanging in there?
Lyn has started to tube feed with a Crop Needle and we have it in an incubater. We also got it's mate in there today, to give it some hope and company.
Lyn is at a loss as to what to try next.
Any tests that have to be sent away may well be to late. And we may not be able to do any thing any way.
I should of thought of asking on here way sooner.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
just keep him warm as I am sure you are maybe put a hot water bottle in the cage covered with a nice towel or something that he can sit on.. it may very well be that what the vet said is right but give it the good old try anyway and I know you will...am glad you got his mate in...make sure you get the mate checked out as well...am surprised you only got baytril though..surely there is something else the vet could do..have you tried getting a second opinion?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would ask for some Clavimox, it's broader spectrum. Thank you for taking in this little one. Does he have a name?

Ginger

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you Anne
He is in a incubator, same as our Avian vet uses. We have it up at 97f. Lyn is worried his mate will not be able to stand the heat.
There was some discssion on what to use, but our avian vet thinks it may make him worse.
Unfortunatley I feel Lyn or Berand are the best we have.
I was just hoping my vague explaination may of trigged a memory somewhere.
We will watch his mate closely.

just keep him warm as I am sure you are maybe put a hot water bottle in the cage covered with a nice towel or something that he can sit on.. it may very well be that what the vet said is right but give it the good old try anyway and I know you will...am glad you got his mate in...make sure you get the mate checked out as well...am surprised you only got baytril though..surely there is something else the vet could do..have you tried getting a second opinion?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
maybe you could put the mate in a small cage next to the incubator instead of keeping the mate right in the cage.....at least they can see each other and call back and forth that way

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Personally, I wouldn't have the clutch mate in with it IF that bird is not sick....Birds that are sick spend a lot of energy trying NOT to look sick around other birds AND I have seen Clutch mates go after sick birds to drive them away...Also you are running the chance to infect a bird who might not be sick...

Sounds like a crop infection with the fluids in the throat. ( can you also give it Bragg's Natural Apple Cider Vinegar?) Is it totally empting the crop when you are feeding it? How often are you feed the bird?
How old is the Tiel/weight?
I would mix the vinegar with the food.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I agree with BF and also 97 degrees is a little extreme. 85 is adequate for a sick bird.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
A little more info and pix's would help.

Woth repiratory problems, you can ask your vet to give an injection of a multivitamin that contains A, and also a B-complex injection.

If the vet will not consider this then you can find both at a health food store. You can add these to the formula every other feeding. Carotene= 1/4 cap per feeding, Brewers yeast 1/8'1/4 tsp per feeding. The Carotene gets converted to vitamin A in the liver and is supportive of respiratory and mucous membranes. The Brewers Yeast has alot of nutrients and will also reduce stress.

Attachments

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
OK this is gonna sound flakey...but tell the little guy that you want him to live, that if he does he will have a far better life than his previous existence, with good food, clean cage, time to play and fly and birdie friends. Really let him feel how much you want him to live. And then call on your diety to give the little guy strength to fight.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Sue...great suggestions. These little birds tend to pick up on our feelings, and positive energy helps :)

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I agree with BF. 97 degrees will dehydrate him. Prayers for the little guy. You have a big heart.

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I am so sorry you are going through this. You go have a good heart. At least the little guy will know a clean, warm, safe place and some love if he doesn't make it. Good luck.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you Guys!
As I said I posted because we are at a loss at what to do next.

I am sorry I do not know the background of these two except. The sick one was seen to be laying in the bottom of their grotty uncleaned cage. And somebody went in and grabbed him out of there and bought him into the rescue. They were asked if they would go back and get the mate, which they did. I think this was around 2weeks ago. And both had been in the same cage, but as he had gone down hill a bit after the Baytril and vet had seen him, he was moved into the incubator. He has only eaten Millet and not very much, he is very skinny and so Lyn thought it better to try and force feed.
We moved his mate in with him to let him know he was still there and we all want him to fight this infection.
I understand what you say about the temps, but it may also be what is keeping him alive at the moment.
It is touch and go, and seems we may loose him.

You are right though, we will do all we can to make his passing comfortable, if that is what has to happen.

We also looked at turning the incubator around so his mate did not need to be in with him.
I think it is way to late to stop his mate from having the same thing if it was contagious.
Poor little sods, life just is not fair.
I will pass on all your comments to Lyn.
We are at a stage now where things could hardly get any worse.
I will try to get a pic of fluid. It is clear and you can hear the noise when you tube feed.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice to offer but just wanted to say thank you for taking in this poor little soul... Sending over many many prayers and healing thoughts...:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I will try to get a pic of fluid. It is clear and you can hear the noise when you tube feed
------------------------------------------

Quick questions. Is this fluid filling the crop, and it has little to no oder, and is semi-thickened? if so the bird would have a psuedomonas infection.

Does Lyn know how to empty crops? This fluid would have to be continually emptied from the crop, because if it builds up too much their is a high risk of aspiration. What is going on is there is an infection further in the GI tract and the gizzard/proventriculus is requrgitating the fluids from the body into the crop. When this happens there is also dehydration going on, and if it gets too severe their can be renal/kidney failure.

Things to ask the vet, that will help (ASAP) is to start giving the bird Sub-Q fluid therapy for hydration. If psuedomonas the only effective meds I have had work are injectable...amikacin, and pipercillin. With amikacin the bird has to be hydrated prior to the first shot, and hydration maintanined.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Just a quick update.
He is eating a few seeds this morning, and has perked up a little having his mate with him.
The incubator has humidity control. She excepts the temp is very high, but feels it maybe the only thing keeping him alive at this time. We do not know when they last got feed, or water changed, before they were grabbed. There is not much doubt that it would of been dead by now, if it had not been for someone willing to grab these birds and remove them from a horrible situation.
He is so frail Lyn is worried any chemicals may just be to much for his system to handle.
But we will try the natural things today. I will show Lyn this thread, so she can read your help.

Stiels: Lyn is compedent with most medical procedures. And the vet is the Avian vet for Auckland Zoo. And even he listens to Lyn sometimes. She has 30yrs of caring for wild and caged birds.
But sometimes it is best to ask others and take advice.
Again I thank you all for the quick response, help and prayers.
We will do our best to help him recover.
I'll update later in the day, when I have been to the rescue.

I am caring for an Eastern Rosella baby that had 2x broken legs. The vet said No take it away and put it to sleep. Lyn siad 'No Way' She did some bush surgery and taped up it's legs. just 2xweeks later it is starting to use it's feet to grip with. Ok the legs are bent and it may always be handicapped a bit, but it is alive and seems happy enough. I hope I do not have to adopt it though, I do not want to keep expanding my flock. I spend a lot of time handling it, just to let it know it is loved. And if it comes to it, I will bring it home.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: poor guy. Glad he's living now in a positive caring environment. Who knows, maybe that will be exactly what he needs...

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I pray that he gets well! Thanks for taking him in!!:hug8:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
It is with sad heart I have to tell you the Tiel did not make it.
It went down hill real fast today, and was dead before I left for the day.
We did our best, but it may have been way to late, by the time we got it.
Lyn showed me the body and boy was that thin. It had no meat left on it.

Again thank you all for the advice and kind words.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am so very sorry for his passing. Thank you and the staff for showing him some love and compassion at the end. I hope he is perched on God's shoulder and singing in his ear.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.