• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Update.

Vaultboy91

Moving in
Real Name
Ewan
So my cockatiel (Brochan) has been with me for over a month now and I appreciate all the help from you guys when i first brought him home. Unfortunately I have made little to no progress and I have reached a point where I am seriously concerned about having him in my house long term.
First off: His screaming. It's constant! All day, everyday! I sit near his cage, no change. I cover his cage, no change. I change his water, no change. New food, still screaming. Cage doors open, screaming!!!
Secondly: If it is because he wants attention then I don't know what to do because if I put my hand within a foot of him he goes bananas to get away, risking hurting himself in his cage or if he gets out he flies into the walls or into the curtained windows. All the while screaming his tripe out!!
Third: He is so aggresive, and it's genuinely not even nice being near him.
I am a very patient person but I'm now at breaking point. As I said before if this is how things are going to be with him then I am thinking of giving him up. We havent bonded even slightly and it seems as though he has absolutely no interest in bonding with me anyway.
Please let me know if I'm being unreasonable or too hasty, if this behaviour is normal or he is just unhappy here and it may be best for him to go elsewhere. I'm at a loss.
Thanks in advance.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A month is really nothing for a bird who has so many new things to get used to in a new home with new people. I do not know your back story but I get the feeling from what I am reading here that your bird is terrified.

Was he on his own before you got him or was he removed from the company of other birds?

Vaultboy91

Moving in
Real Name
Ewan
He was alone in the pet shop. That was part of the reason I took him, that and and I have always wanted a cockatiel. With all the little kids poking in at his cage and his cage was really small etc, I couldn.t leave him there. He was absolutely fine for the first two weeks but the more "comfortable" he seems with me in my house the more he acts up. Why would he go from being quiet and frightened to terrified and screaming? It doesn't make sense to me. I'm never harsh with him or grab him or raise my voice even.
Sometimes, and its rare, he will chirp and sing and dance and I'll whistle back and it's nice. Maybe he gets too excited? Maybe my ignorance of birds is so great that I'm mistaking screaming for another thing?
I do Know for sure he is having his first adult moult. Maybe he is grumpy because of this?
I'm looking for any and all reasons as I don't want to give him up but I also don't want to resent him or him to resent me.
Your macaw looks gigantic. How old is he/she?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am wondering if you can post footage of him screaming- there is a difference between screaming and flock calling which many who are not very familiar with birds can easily mix up. There could be many reasons for the noise making, it might take some time to figure out.

Burt will be 5 in November. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How big is his cage? Is it in the main room of the house?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Do you have children or other pets that may be causing him to be fearful?
How was he in the pet shop compared to now?

Sorry we are bombarding you with questions but we are trying to help you find the reason for his change in his behaviour. :)

Vaultboy91

Moving in
Real Name
Ewan
I have a rabbit and a hamster but they never bothered him before and still don't I think. I sit next to his cage when I have breakfast and he likes to sit on the closest perch and warbles away I don't think its distressed screaming actually. It seems more like "come over here and look at me!". But it's constant and, to quite honest, downright unpleasant.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a rabbit and a hamster but they never bothered him before and still don't I think. I sit next to his cage when I have breakfast and he likes to sit on the closest perch and warbles away I don't think its distressed screaming actually. It seems more like "come over here and look at me!". But it's constant and, to quite honest, downright unpleasant.
Can you post a video of him doing this?

My tiel, Tteok, flock calls when he 1) Can’t see his humans (his flock), 2) When he wants attention, 3) Just because he can. This call sounds, to me, like a referee whistle - Loud, high pitched, warbly. If he was around other birds previously, he might be calling to them. Or he might be trying to get attention. Have you left his door open to see if he’ll come out on his own?

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Hey! I am in kind of in the same situation. I guess the only difference is that i have 3 other birds with him in the living room. I got my tiel 2months ago. After qurantine, vet etc. I brught him home 3 weeks ago.
He is not used to human touch and other birds as well due to the lack of interaction with other birds and human. Every time , i come close to him. He is hissing and knocking his beak on the cage or anything nearby. And i made it worse by grabing him to do medicine during qurantine because of his eye infection. He is not trusting me at all at first.
After I took him home, i put him in the cage, and have my birds fly around him because he cannot fky well due to trimmed flight feather. Slowly, he got used to them and started to want attention from them(still from a distance). If we get.too close, he will get really upset.
Me and my bf talk to him sing to him everyday. Play him music, slowly, he started to not be so scared but still get upset when i am too close to the cage. But situation definitely get better. And he became sooooooooo vocal. He will flock call 7am in the morning waking up everybody. And i never know the cockatiel can be this loud. He is even louder than my lovebirds!!!!And he will flock call when my other birds are not around. He will scream when there is no food. Scream when the firetruck pass by. Sometimes just randomly scream as well.
What i did find useful is that i will go to him and talk gently to him and he will quiet down too. I will try to minimize the noise that i made at home as i find that when home is loud, all my birds tend to be loud. And make sure it is not so hot in the room. My birds got really cranky when it is hot. Toys are also important. (Mine havent learnt to use yet). Hope he will adjust soon. It is a phase, i am sure he will move on soon. Dont lose hope. My lovebirds used to scream a lot. But they got better, if you are calm, they will be calm too. Your vibe is affecting the bird.

I put my bird cage by the window and he enjoy looking at the sparrow in the balcony. They keep him company. Hope my lonnngg paragraph does not bored u 20220914_170339.jpg

Good luckk!