• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel Twitching (Sad update post #6)

JuCh123

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, this is my first time here so please bear with me...
I have a cockatiel that I took in last year from a friend because she had to move (he is not my first bird). He's about 16 years old now and quite skittish. I noticed him falling from his perch a few times, so I contacted my friend about it, and she said that he enjoys jumping down and climbing back up . However, I thought he was having night frights or getting spooked by something. Yesterday, I took him out and I saw that he was twitching his head, and thought he was just dancing to my whistles. But then, when I tried to put him back in his cage, he wouldn't step up on the perch. He was very still and I thought it was because he was scared, so I placed him on the floor of the cage. After a few moments, he started screaming and twitched/flapped wildly. He became his normal self after that and climbed up to his perches, but then he fell off his perch and started screaming again. I then placed all his perches lower so that he wouldn't fall hard, but he wouldn't get up on them. I searched online and thought that it looked like seizures. He started rocking forward and kept falling on his face. He moved towards the cage bars and his wings started bleeding when he had another seizure and flapped his wings really hard. He couldn't get up anymore after a while and stopped flapping, so he was placed in a shallow container with some cloths so he could support his head and keep him a bit warmer. I gave him some chamomile tea and some pellets mixed with water to make them easier to digest. This morning when I woke up, his eyes were closed and he was still twitching and he pooped a little. What's wrong with my bird and is there anything I can do? I can't take him to the vet because there are no avian vets near by and because of the coronavirus situation.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It really doesn’t sound good to me. I’ll tag some others who can hopefully offer some suggestions but without a vet things like you describe are not likely to be remedied.
@enigma731 @tka

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That definitely sounds like seizures. He needs medication from a vet. Can you even take him to a non-bird vet and have them consult an avian one? Without intervention, he will die.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you search here Member Search - Association of Avian Veterinarians see if you can find a vet or you could give us your approximate location and maybe someone could recommend a vet. In the USA, even with Covid, vets are opened.
There are multiple things that could be causing his issues: injury, neurological problem, etc. Looks to me that he needs to be examined and diagnosed by a vet.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm afraid that it does sound very serious and he needs to see a vet urgently. If there is an avian vet that you can get to, please phone them and ask if they can see you as an emergency. Many clinics have arrangements so they can see sick birds during COVID.

In the meantime, you're doing the right thing by keeping him in a warm, soft place. You may want to dim the lights or keep him in a shady spot. However, this is only keeping him relatively comfortable and won't cure him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road