• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel twitches and tics

cattwin27

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kiyaki
I have two birds. One named Rikari and one named Mayo. Mayo is about 5 or 6 months old, she often makes noise such as raspberrys, pica boos, and other normal bird sounds. But sometimes she has little almost “spazzes ”. She would have random moments where she would make every noise she knew, almost as if its turrets, all at once. I am not sure if we should take her to the vet for this. She’s been doing it about almost once a day for about 3 months or so. It has gotten worse over time. We don’t want her to suffer especially without us knowing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not fully understand what you mean it is like spazzes or Tourette's but I can tell you that my vocal birds often practice all the sounds and words they have learned.

My macaw is currently in a room on his own practicing/reciting every squeak, whistle, word and phrase he knows, this is something he does regularly and always has since his first clear mimicry of our common sayings and sounds.

My rescue cockatoo regularly can be heard quietly practicing the words he hears me say to him a lot and also the things my son frequently says to him. He said a few things when he got here that I no longer hear very often at all- I do not call him big bird nor do I tell him to step up (I do not like it as it is a command so I phrase it differently so that it is a request) and he has replaced those with a few other things I do say, he now says (not very clearly) good morning, want breakfast, how are you, whatcha doing and coming. I am unsure of many of the other things he waffles to himself as they are not clear enough to understand.

Could your bird possibly be making all the noises it hears at your home- noises copied can be words or speech, sneezes, laughter, beeps and toots, raspberries, door squeaks, microwave beeps, car reversing beeps etc

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Maybe make a short video when it happens and upload it to youtube , so we can see :D

My tiel has been doing some variation of the beak grind for the past 3 months that sounds different then the usual beak grind, but she still is active , flying around , eating , happy to be around me... Not sure if that is considered a tic or a quirk .