• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel too scared and shy what do i do?

JewelAngel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Pikachu is adorable!! I believe " she " is actually a " he " with a grey cockatiel like your baby all have barred tail feathers both male and female. Until first molt. I was under the impression my first bird who was named Princess by the first owner then Elizabeth by me. After the first molt I was told Elizabeth was a male. Another reason is how bright the feathers are. Female cockatilels aren't as bright.

On the subject of taming it seems that you are doing great. You will find that no matter which gender Pikachu is, you will love him/her!!

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
Pikachu is adorable!! I believe " she " is actually a " he " with a grey cockatiel like your baby all have barred tail feathers both male and female. Until first molt. I was under the impression my first bird who was named Princess by the first owner then Elizabeth by me. After the first molt I was told Elizabeth was a male. Another reason is how bright the feathers are. Female cockatilels aren't as bright.

On the subject of taming it seems that you are doing great. You will find that no matter which gender Pikachu is, you will love him/her!!
Thank you! The wife absolutely loves her. As do i. I have seen that the first molt will definitely show her true gender. I have also read that their behavior gives it away too. Shes very quiet ever so often she will give us a little tweet. Sometimes she will start to sing but only last for 5 min. Maybe longer if we’re lucky. She isnt as active as a male is described. Her colors are faint they aren't bright. It is possible she may be a male. Which i secretly hope lol. (I like when they sing). But a timid female is just as great! We love her regardless.
We’ll have to wait until the first molt. We dont know if what the guy who sold it to us really knows that she is just 3 months old. Comparing some 3 month old tiels online she looks a bit older.

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
Left is Littlefoot. Female. Right Eli male. And you will find as Pikachu get's older they are more talkative and love to whistle!! Excuse my face..........not the best with Selfies lol
They are adorable ! I didnt know that! I thought they were talkative from the get go. Still have to research they behavior when molting . Still dont know what that looks like.
lol once we tame her we’ll be taking selfies like that too.(im not great with selfies either)
Every cockatiel ive seen seem photogenic lol

Attachments

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
I agree, I think pikachu is a boy :) Either way you are making great progress. I have two cockatiels. The first one would step up and chill on your shoulder from day 1. I got my second one a about a month ago and she still doesnt like to step up when in her cage. She comes out on her own and steps up anywhere else just fine. Im rambling, My point is, patience is key. I wouldnt be in a hurry to get pikachu a friend yet imo.

edit: even my first guy that came home content took a good week before I saw him open up vocally, and he still surprises me with new sounds (had him since xmas)

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
I agree, I think pikachu is a boy :) Either way you are making great progress. I have two cockatiels. The first one would step up and chill on your shoulder from day 1. I got my second one a about a month ago and she still doesnt like to step up when in her cage. She comes out on her own and steps up anywhere else just fine. Im rambling, My point is, patience is key. I wouldnt be in a hurry to get pikachu a friend yet imo.

edit: even my first guy that came home content took a good week before I saw him open up vocally, and he still surprises me with new sounds (had him since xmas)
Yes she might be a boy kind of hope so lol. We like to look at videos of cockatiels singing and its just too cute.

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
Its day 18 with pikachu and she now steps onto our hands almost immediately, but only if shes hungry and believes we have food in the other hand. Not sure how we can get her on just because she wants to. It looks like she not afraid of us anymore, she just doesnt want anything to do with us sometimes.
also we want to transition her to pellets but she will not touch them. She wont go up to it. And she will start tweeting when she gets hungry and steps out of the cage.
what can we do to get her to eat pellets?
Are roudybush minis good for cockatiels?