• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel throwing fits. Seperation anxiety?

Dudedre

Moving in
I’m new to this forum. My cockatiel is nearly 2 years old, I’ve had him since march 2019 and we’ve been closely bonded ever since. I recently moved into a new apartment with a new roomate and started a new job all at once & since then he’s become a nightmare. I believe he’s developed severe separation anxiety. Any time I start to move around and do chores in my home he flips out and starts flying in circles until he’s panting. Occasionally when i try to pick him up he flies away (again flying in circles) and/or bites me. He hates going back in his cage although i put his favorite treats in there for him. When i try to pet him he hisses at me as if he is scared that i’ll grab him. He refuses to accept treats from my hand as a reward for good behavior (this has always been the case), and usually i would pet him as a reward but that wont work now either. These fits of anger/anxiety happen once or twice pretty much every day and they can last for quite a long time before my cockatiel likes me again. My roomate says he only acts like this when im around so i am sure i am the problem somehow. Any suggestions?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Honestly? I don't think it's you that's the problem. How does your Tiel interact with your roommate. What about when you're not there?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When i try to pet him he hisses at me

You bird is telling you to "stay away from me, don't come too close" Sounds to me your bird is insecure in new environment. Does this new roommate like birds? Do all you can to keep things calm around this bird and enrich his life with your understanding.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think as the others said, that he's nervous in his new home. Where is his cage located? Does your roommate spend time with him?

Dudedre

Moving in
Hi everyone sorry for the very late reply! Usually when im around, my bird won’t let my roommate pick him up at all or at least it takes some effort but that all changes when i leave. When i leave, my cockatiel likes to hang out with my roommate and sometimes allows my roommate to pet him. In the past I had several roomates in a decent sized house, he only ever liked one of them though. The apartment im in now admittedly is pretty small. He lives in the living room right next to the front entrance and within view of some sliding glass doors, i leave the blinds open for him when i leave so he has something to look at.