• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel taming?

•|R o c k y|•

Moving in
I have had a cockatiel for a few months now, and have now had the time to tame him (previously he wasn’t mine but now he is, long story). He is comfortable coming up to me through his cage bars or on top of his cage to look at me. Sometimes he does hiss and I slowly back away to give him space. When I try to put my hand inside his cage to change his food or water, he is aggressive. Outside of his cage, he comfortable eating from my hand from time to time. I am trying to approach him in a different way, now day by day slowly with millet. I put my finger in front and the millet in the back so that he can step up then eat the millet. When I tried to give him millet then give my finger, he would bite and attack it and I would wait a few moments before taking the millet and my hand away. I am not sure if the new approach is good or not, as every source I research has a different answer. I was hoping someone could give me some of their personal experience or advice on other methods? I am a new bird owner so I am not sure if I’m doing this right and just want the best for him :)

I am confused on his standing with me as only in specific situations will he be comfortable and happy to approach me. It seems to me that he does like when I am around him most of the time, but he isn’t comfortable with my hands.

(apologies if this is confusing, I am not sure how to word all of this)

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
:welcomegroup:

I have seen many cockatiels with hand fears. You might cover up your hand with your sleeve and see if you get different responses. Welcome! Post pictures when you can :p

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
When I try to put my hand inside his cage to change his food or water, he is aggressive. Outside of his cage, he comfortable eating from my hand
My one bird, who has no issues with hands, has cage possession issues. When he’s out of the cage and I’m cleaning, he will happily pop in and out and enjoys when I’m in there, rearranging. But if he is inside with the cage doors closed? Forget it. He’s finger chomping. It might take time and treat training, but you will probably get there. I’ve just accepted that’s how he is, since he isn’t showing fear or anxiety after…he just doesn’t want me to touch his cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How is the new approach working? Rewards are given after a desired behavior, so that seems the better of the two methods. It’s good you are giving him his space when he needs it, and he’s probably still getting used to everything. Sometimes it can take quite a while, but I’m sure he really enjoys your company, and in time he should get more comfortable with your hands. Covering your arm, or using the back of your hand rather than a finger are good ideas. Perch training can also be helpful. Many birds don’t like hands in their cage. Maybe you can distract him on one side of the cage with a treat while you work on the other side. How big is the cage? How do you get him out of the cage? Having a perch outside his cage door so he can come out on his own is a good idea. You can also target train him. I would look up Barbara Heidenreich training videos. Having a clear cue, bridge, and reward can do wonders.

•|R o c k y|•

Moving in
My one bird, who has no issues with hands, has cage possession issues. When he’s out of the cage and I’m cleaning, he will happily pop in and out and enjoys when I’m in there, rearranging. But if he is inside with the cage doors closed? Forget it. He’s finger chomping. It might take time and treat training, but you will probably get there. I’ve just accepted that’s how he is, since he isn’t showing fear or anxiety after…he just doesn’t want me to touch his cage.
*The previous account got merged with this one, that was my other account created because I had lost access to this one.

I’ve been noticing the same thing with my bird, he is also aggressive when someone places their hands in his cage. I also just let him leave his cage and then distract him while I change his food bowls, etc. Hopefully he will learn to not be as aggressive with treats, but if not I understand too ‍:)

•|R o c k y|•

Moving in
How is the new approach working? Rewards are given after a desired behavior, so that seems the better of the two methods. It’s good you are giving him his space when he needs it, and he’s probably still getting used to everything. Sometimes it can take quite a while, but I’m sure he really enjoys your company, and in time he should get more comfortable with your hands. Covering your arm, or using the back of your hand rather than a finger are good ideas. Perch training can also be helpful. Many birds don’t like hands in their cage. Maybe you can distract him on one side of the cage with a treat while you work on the other side. How big is the cage? How do you get him out of the cage? Having a perch outside his cage door so he can come out on his own is a good idea. You can also target train him. I would look up Barbara Heidenreich training videos. Having a clear cue, bridge, and reward can do wonders.
I’ll definitely try different methods of showing him my hand like you suggested, thank you! I usually open the cage doors and let him come out when he’s ready and just leave them open until he needs to go back in at night. I am hoping on target training him, as I’ve heard people using this to teach birds to step up, however I’m not sure if thats a good idea or not. I do always reward good behaviour and there seems to be progress! Thank you ;)

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I’ll definitely try different methods of showing him my hand like you suggested, thank you! I usually open the cage doors and let him come out when he’s ready and just leave them open until he needs to go back in at night. I am hoping on target training him, as I’ve heard people using this to teach birds to step up, however I’m not sure if thats a good idea or not. I do always reward good behaviour and there seems to be progress! Thank you ;)
I would definitely do target training. Its super easy and a great way to be able to move a bird where you need to without the chances of getting bit. I also think it is great for bonding.