• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Taming No Progress

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Here is a video of me and Felix training (please ignore my awful voice lol). We have made very little progress. What am I doing wrong? I just can't seem to make any progress with him. Treats are millet and sunflower seeds.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Looks like you are making good progress to me?
We've just been doing this for a while:p. How can we progress from this point? Like stay on my hand a bit longer, or let me move it slightly? It doesn't seem to help him much to be less scared of hands so far?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's wonderful! He isn't tame? It looks like the two of you are doing very well together. :) he even runs right up when he sees you. :heart:

Bonus points for that camera angle. Maximum bird! :swoon:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could you hold more millet in your palm so it would take him longer to eat it? Or some other kind of treat? You could even hold it between your fingers so he can't carry it away and he'd have to stand on you to eat longer. He seems very food motivated!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You can build on this in may different ways.

1) Movement - Looks to me like it's time to move your hand a little. Start with just a very short distance (have his step up from the cage, move your hand an inch or so away, then move it right back). Initially, let him eat the treat during the entire motion, so he has incentive to stay put while he's in motion. Have him step up from one corner and step down onto another.

If being moved away from the cage frightens him, try moving him laterally by sliding your hand along the cage edge. This will 1 - support your hand to help it stay extra steady, and 2 - provide him the opportunity to jump off at any time.

2) Location - In the mind of your bird, stepping up from two different locations are two totally different behaviors. Depending on your layout, I'd suggest repeating the behavior from all different angles, and also try changing the angle of your fingers (parallel vs. perpendicular to the cage).

3) Distance - You already have him jumping to your hand. If you slowly increase the distance, you'll soon have him flying to your hand. From there, you can practice having him fly different directions, moving upward or downward, and for advanced studies - around corners.

4) Step down/reverse - Once you can move him a bit, try having him step down onto a perch/chair back/whatever you have handy, then stepping up again from this new location. Additionally, you can work on having him fly not only to you, but back to the cage/other designated location on command (station).

The end goal should be a bird you can call, send away, pick up, or set down, wherever and whenever you please, and he should trust you to provide stable surfaces and make it worth his while to cooperate.

5) Have you tried working on other tricks? I find simple things like "wave" and "turn around," are pretty easy for them to learn, and use them as sort of a palate cleanser between more challenging training.

All in all, I see a great start. Your bird is engaged, interested, and doesn't seem remotely fearful. Good job!

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Or maybe clicker training him will keep him there longer? As long as you click he knows more is coming?

But to me it looks like excellent progress! Love that it's not just Mabel who tries to bolt with the millet by holding it in her foot :rofl:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Love that it's not just Mabel who tries to bolt with the millet by holding it in her foot :rofl:
I use seed for training, and rather than fumble with the teeny things, it's easier to hold a small quantity in my palm and let the bird pick the one they want as a reward (they act like kids choosing a piece of halloween candy from the bowl). Unfortunately, my quaker has figured out that if he grabs my finger with one foot, he can hold me there long enough to stuff his face (he gets my finger in this death-grip, and I'm worried if I pull away too hard, I'll cause him to pull a muscle or destabilize him in some way that could lead to injury).

I had to switch to treating with a little dish that slides out of his claws.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh my gosh thank you guys so much! This is the feedback I love hearing! :hug8: