• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel suffering side effects after antibiotic

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Help! I have a question about my female cockatiel.
She was having eye issues. Her right eye was watery and itchy. Wasn't red or swollen though. Just a few feathers lost around that eye.
Also she had sneezed a few times in the past few days and had a somewhat sore throat (voice not normal)

I took her to the vet. But by then her voice had significantly improved and she is also active.
Vet said she has coryza and conjunctivitis.
He prescribed cefpodoxime orally and Ciprofloxacin dexamethasone eye drops for her. But after giving those to her, she regurgitated and the doctor says it is normal.

But then she started having white poop. Runny white opaque poop with very little feces. Looks like only urates. But she isn't inactive or lethargic. In fact she is acting quite alert and also her voice is okay.
Eye is still somewhat watery.

And she was also quite anxious. So the vet said it is probably stress resulting from the vet visit. And someone said that probably after throwing up seeds, there was only urates since she hadn't digested her food yet and that antibiotic causes nausea.

But as the night progressed her poop became more and more normal (with green feces and urine too and not just urates ). So I thought that it is indeed stress that caused that unusual poop.

So in the morning I gave her the cefpodoxime dose as usual. And again the watery white poop started. She is active though. But this is strange. So I called up the vet and he said he'll get in touch with me soon, and that he might change the cefpodoxime to Ofloxacin ornidazole instead.

So what is bothering me a lot is that before the vet visit, at least her poops were normal. It was only the eye that was affected. And maybe a bit of sneezing on some days but voice had also been improving (the voice thing had happened once previously as well but became okay after two weeks on its own). But I'm worried that all these antibiotics will do more harm than good since the poop isn't normal anymore at all.
I don't know what to do please help
And reading stuff up on the internet is scaring me even more :(

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see pictures of the poop? It sounds like fairly typical antibiotic side effects to me.

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Here is what it looked like last evening.

It became again green and semi solid like usual poo over the night through morning.

Then once again turned white after the medicine dosage. Like white opaque liquid which dries as a white water color paint.

Attachments

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Is the side effect something that I should be really worried about?

Also is it normal for two antibiotics to be prescribed? Like one in the form of eye drops and another oral one?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like she's not eating much or not keeping much down. It might be good to discuss switching the oral one to something else. It's not unusual for more than one med to be prescribed but you can ask the vet why they felt it was necessary in this case.

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Exactly, it does seem to be so. Since I hadn't seen too many seed husks in her bowl in the morning. But today she did eat a few times throughout the day though and I also saw husks when I covered her cage in the evening.

Any idea on why it became green semi solid with feces overnight ? And then again turned to watery white in the morning ?

Sorry for asking repetitive questions but I've been worried sick and my mom says I'm going to become physically sick if I keep worrying this much.

Last edited:

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Also does something like this happen as a side effect of an antibiotic? Or is something unusual altogether?

The vet isn't available for taking calls again until tomorrow morning.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The poop is changing because of when there's food in her system and when there isn't. It's green when she's digested some food, white (urates only) when there's no or very little food in her system.

This is a typical sign of a bird with decreased appetite. Whether it's from the antibiotics (which it definitely could be) or her illness, I can't say. How is she acting otherwise?

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
She is pretty active otherwise. I've caught her grinding the beak and relaxing at times too.
And sometimes sleeping while balancing on one foot with the other foot tucked in.

She is in general more active than the other male in another cage. She has chirped and called out many times.

Yes she is a bit high strung though, like since the vet grabbed and towelled her, she has been a bit scared when people approach her. Like she gets alarmed easily since she isn't a tame bird and totally hates being touched. She is also a bit worried it seems since her cage was changed. Her cage is close to the male bird's cage and she has called out to him often. They had some conversations.

She did eat. I saw her eating twice. She might have eaten more when I wasn't there watching her. She has drank water too, and for sure more than twice.

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Also another observation I made is that she had totally normal poops even the day before yesterday. Like before I even took her to the vet, while the illness had been going on for almost five days before the appointment could finally be taken.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Then probably the antibiotics are upsetting her stomach. She sounds perfectly stable though so I think you can take some deep breaths and try to relax until you can talk to the vet.

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
So if he suggests to continue with this one tomorrow should I do so? Even though it is probably making her nauseous and making her lose appetite?

Are you aware of cases where this continued throughout the duration of the course of the medicine but appetite improved after the course was finished ?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's common for antibiotics to cause stomach upset even in humans. I can't tell you what's right for your bird, but I'd be comfortable following my vet's advice in a situation like this (and have before).

AnB98

Moving in
Real Name
Anwesha
Hi, a little update,
Just like last night, she pooped normal green just now.
And she'll probably poop green throughout night. The vet mentioned electrolytes. Will clarify from him tomorrow.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Antibiotics will affect the gastrointestinal system, most likely a decrease in appetite, can you get her to eat soft soaked pellets, scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, write down all of your concerns and questions so you dont forget anything..