• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Sudden Death

TielGranny

Moving in
A variety of home test kits are available, both through online stores such as Amazon, as well as independent scientific organizations, non-profit groups and community
health organizations. Hiring a professional to come and test your home for mold, lead, asbestos, radon or other toxic items in your home is possible, too.
My husband really thinks it's the breeder giving us birds with problems. Maybe they were all abd, maybe Lightening struck us twice. But I would think if it was wide spread I would see negative reviews. ‍♀ A friend that had birds gave us the name of another place. People I know that have had birds said they didn't really do anything special for them. Just didn't cook or smoke around them. We are going to test for Radon, mold, ozone, and co2. I doubt the latter is a problem since it's a sunroom not integrated with house. I am going to recheck my plants and everything in there

He also said he had wanted a budgies for himself. We have a smaller cage that we never used. So he is thinking of getting a pair of budgies for himself as his pets after we test and reconfigure how we do things and we can go from there.

I miss Milo so much and I'm really taking this time around hard. He was such a character and spunky fun little thing and my buddy. I just want to know why.

I just read through other people on the forum losing their birdies under varying circumstance and just don't know if it's part of it all. My family is like give up on the birds and get a reptile or fish because "they don't die if you look at them wrong or use the wrong dish detergent in the house" . (two of my sisters have bearded dragons and the other has snakes also)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a terrible loss. I am truly sorry for the heartache. :sorrow:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How utterly heartbreaking, I’m so sorry for your loss and that this has happened again.
:sadhug2:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
What a horrible thing to happen to you. I’m so sorry and offer the most sincere condolences to you and your family, especially your daughter.

Ldjcdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David Johnston
@TielGranny, I know just how you feel. My first tiel was eaten by a stray cat that only left the wings. Third one just dropped off they playhouse swing. We went for a girl for my second one, Benny, and found a 9 lived survivor.

Cleo is a lutino that had a problem with the aura line, and had her intestines dropped (like when they are very young perching), and I massaged her belly every day after hand feeding (I've hand fed all my birds... That is the reason this problem was so hard to spot), and after a few months, her aura line closed and she survived.

We were people that liked our birds to roam freely about the house, and fly upon all open spaces. Dead wrong. Once she fell into the moping water and I was frantically searching for her all over the house, for I did not hear the flock call. I got her almost drowned... Gsve her mouth to beak rcp, rushed to the vet and she survived. That was the last time any of my birds (5 Amazon's and 2 tiels, at the time) were free to fly throughout the house. We researched and had special cages made for them... Until she got stuck on the squared bird cage (hard to explain... I will up a Pic on that). She almost died again!

After we put on a smaller grid so that their head wouldn't get through... Two years after she is the proud mother of 3 lovely chicks and just had two more eggs lain.

I really really think that even though you have all the care in the world (as you can see, I've learned the hard way), tiels will try to pull through and live rich lives.

And the point is... If YOU think you are not bird people, maybe there should be a law against people like me, that loves our birds (all the whole flocks), but accidents and tragedies do occur (genetics, flying or any type you can imagine - or some you can't-). Don't give up on birds. Love them and expect the best.

Our specialized psittacid vet (that we found under emergency circumstances - I hope to tell that tall tale sometime soon-), says we have extraordinary care for our birds and that they all have excellent health... And you have taken far greater measures...

Have a hug and don't blame yourself on circumstances out of your control.

Moderator Edit: Potentially Disturbing Image Attached

Last edited by a moderator:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, I’m just so sorry! Your Pico sounds like he was a sweet, special little bird. I’m so sorry for your daughter, too! And please let her know to not be hard on herself. Sometimes birds die because of things we can’t control. Wait and see what the vet says about the necropsy results. If there is anything you need to change, you will learn about it then. Sending hugs and prayers!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That picture is awful. She survived that?! I thought she had died like that 'till I read the long post. Maybe we should have that picture shadowed with a graphic warning. @Mizzely

Ldjcdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David Johnston
That picture is awful. She survived that?! I thought she had died like that 'till I read the long post. Maybe we should have that picture shadowed with a graphic warning. @Mizzely
Sorry... I should' ve done that... I'm still learning board etiquette...

She did survive, as I caught on real fast on her life-threatening ocurrance... I love to check on them a lot... She just ended eith a sore neck for a few hours...

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sorry... I should' ve done that... I'm still learning board etiquette...

She did survive, as I caught on real fast on her life-threatening ocurrance... I love to check on them a lot... She just ended eith a sore neck for a few hours...
Did you change her style of cage? This type of bar seems very dangerous and she may get herself caught again.

Reactions: tka

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm just heartbroken reading your thread. I'm so sorry for you and your family.

You are obviously dedicated. Even taking the extra step of having a veterinarian investigate the cause of death.

One thing I might investigate, is pest control used in the yard and home?

Too me it does seem to be a toxic event. You've mentioned doing the Teflon research, those horrible chemicals are hidden in so many things. Air fryers, ironing boards.

I wish you had very clear answers. Because you seem like an incredible parrot family with tons of love to give. I'm so sorry that you had to experience 2 losses

Ldjcdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David Johnston
Did you change her style of cage? This type of bar seems very dangerous and she may get herself caught again.
We did... They have (the family is grown to 7 atm and expecting 4 more...) been on a 1/4 inch opening cage since then... As I posted she survived and became a winged bunny