• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Sudden Death

TielGranny

Moving in
This is my first time posting but me and my daughter used this forum a lot when researching about getting a Cockatiel. She had been working two years to get her grades up and chores, saved money, and had did a ton of research on getting a cockatiel. She researched Breeders, cages, toys, food, and everything she could. I did too to help. We prepped our home, ceased using toxins, no telfon, made sure any plants we had were safe. About a month ago we finally went to a reputable breeder and paid good money to get her lovely bird we named Pico (I called her my grand baby). The bird was around 13 weeks when we got it. My daughter was an excellent responsible bird momma. We have a beautiful sunroom for the bird that also kept it away from any possible in-home toxins because it's separate from the house. We were just paranoid this bird was going to die from something after reading about the danger online.

She took such great care of it. My husband even left the radio on for it if nobody was home. Everyone loved the bird and she even made appearances on my Zoom meetings.

Pico had her first vet appointment about a week ago and got a clean bill of health. Everything seemed fine today. Pico did yoga with me this morning (sat on my laptop watching the video). Was chirping and playful as usually.

Daughter put the bird to bed tonight half covered the cage, we have little lights in the sunroom so it's never too dark. This is the regular nighttime routine. I was doing her hair for a few hours. Before she went to bed she went downstairs and I suddenly heard the most awful wail! . My baby just starts screaming "Nooooo Pico Noooooo".

I ran down stairs and she was hysterical. I went to the cage and poor baby Pico was dead at the bottom.

My daughter was absolutely inconsolable. She kept blaming her self, saying she killed her. And upset she died alone. Maybe it was some body spray she put earlier morning, she forgot to put paper towels in the bottom of the cage, even said it was because she had the bird on her shoulder while she was eating soup. She feels like she failed (this is her first real pet).

I don't know if I did something. I was cooking hamburgers on a Lodge cast iron griddle, which I thought was safe. I used avocado cooking spray (??) on it, but the bird wasn't in the house while I was doing that she brought it in after we finished eating. I also have a $300 filter based air purifier in the den running 24/7 that opens into the kitchen, it is non ionizing air purifier, no teflon, that I researched to death to make sure it was bird safe. We have had that for over a week.

The only thing we have done differently than any other day was I cooked on the griddle for the first time since we got the bird. I can't think of anything else except maybe she hurt herself in her cage the two hours I was doing my daughter's hair.

Needless to say we are all heartbroken. I am letting her stay home from school tomorrow. I left a message with the vet to maybe do a post-mortem. I'm just besides myself.

20220305_132345.jpg 20220228_173711.jpg 20220228_194422.jpg

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cockatiel.. RIP:(

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
This is my first time posting but me and my daughter used this forum a lot when researching about getting a Cockatiel. She had been working two years to get her grades up and chores, saved money, and had did a ton of research on getting a cockatiel. She researched Breeders, cages, toys, food, and everything she could. I did too to help. We prepped our home, ceased using toxins, no telfon, made sure any plants we had were safe. About a month ago we finally went to a reputable breeder and paid good money to get her lovely bird we named Pico (I called her my grand baby). The bird was around 13 weeks when we got it. My daughter was an excellent responsible bird momma. We have a beautiful sunroom for the bird that also kept it away from any possible in-home toxins because it's separate from the house. We were just paranoid this bird was going to die from something after reading about the danger online.

She took such great care of it. My husband even left the radio on for it if nobody was home. Everyone loved the bird and she even made appearances on my Zoom meetings.

Pico had her first vet appointment about a week ago and got a clean bill of health. Everything seemed fine today. Pico did yoga with me this morning (sat on my laptop watching the video). Was chirping and playful as usually.

Daughter put the bird to bed tonight half covered the cage, we have little lights in the sunroom so it's never too dark. This is the regular nighttime routine. I was doing her hair for a few hours. Before she went to bed she went downstairs and I suddenly heard the most awful wail! . My baby just starts screaming "Nooooo Pico Noooooo".

I ran down stairs and she was hysterical. I went to the cage and poor baby Pico was dead at the bottom.

My daughter was absolutely inconsolable. She kept blaming her self, saying she killed her. And upset she died alone. Maybe it was some body spray she put earlier morning, she forgot to put paper towels in the bottom of the cage, even said it was because she had the bird on her shoulder while she was eating soup. She feels like she failed (this is her first real pet).

I don't know if I did something. I was cooking hamburgers on a Lodge cast iron griddle, which I thought was safe. I used avocado cooking spray (??) on it, but the bird wasn't in the house while I was doing that she brought it in after we finished eating. I also have a $300 filter based air purifier in the den running 24/7 that opens into the kitchen, it is non ionizing air purifier, no teflon, that I researched to death to make sure it was bird safe. We have had that for over a week.

The only thing we have done differently than any other day was I cooked on the griddle for the first time since we got the bird. I can't think of anything else except maybe she hurt herself in her cage the two hours I was doing my daughter's hair.

Needless to say we are all heartbroken. I am letting her stay home from school tomorrow. I left a message with the vet to maybe do a post-mortem. I'm just besides myself.

View attachment 404944 View attachment 404945 View attachment 404946
Again, I am so sorry for the loss of Pico.. my condolences for you, your daughter and everyone who loved little Pico. It's really heart-breaking when a pet(or any loved one) passes. Pico sounds like she was an amazing little birdie:sadhug:

Sending lots of love and hugs your way❤

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Sorry for your loss of Pico. She sounds like wonderful, amazing bird. Sending hugs your way…

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww I´m very sorry for your loss.

A necropsy is a good idea (place Pico in a zoploc bag in the fridge if you can until you can get her to the vet), hopefully you will get an answer and give you all some closure.

TielGranny

Moving in
The vet returned my call. We are going to get a necropsy done. It'll take about a month. She wants another tiel, so I told her we can see what the results are and maybe that can either help us be more diligent next time or it will tell us if that particular bird had health problems that manifested and I reassure her she didn't do anything wrong. The Vet office tried to do that to let her know with little birdies they can be so sensative to anything and it sounded like we were doing everything right. They were so sweet to us. I'm trying not to cry seeing her in so much distress, this is her first close experience with death. I told her she gave Pico the best month of her life.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry for your loss. Like your daughter, I was inconsolable after my tiel died. The necropsy helped me find answers and get closure. I hope the necropsy gives your family some clarity. There may have been some underlying health problem that had nothing to do with your care.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. Please tell your daughter we understand how she feels. I think I cried for a week straight when I lost my tiel and I'm an adult. We all look for answers when these things happen. And sometimes there aren't any. I hope the necropsy can shed some light on what happened. Also, please tell your daughter it sounds like she was a wonderful bird mama and the world is lucky to have people like her. I help with a bird rescue and I wish there were more people like you and your daughter to give homes to birds.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Same here cried I every time i saw their cage..
From my heart to your daughter heart.
I am so sorry for your loss of Pico.
They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever....
:crycry::crycry::crycry::crycry:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how heartbreaking! I’m so very sorry for the loss of your sweet friend.:sorrow: I highly doubt it was your daughters fault, and I hope you get some good answers. Your little bird was lucky to have known such love, even though it was for far too short a time. Sending big hugs to you all.
:sadhug2:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think most of us go through the blame stage when a bird dies suddenly. The necropsy will tell you what happened. I did not realize it took so long to get results. Its good your daughter wants a second bird. :hug6::hug6:

Reactions: A.K

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry. May she rest in peace. She was loved. :sadhug:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry for your loss. You and your daughter are in my thoughts. Pico had an amazing life while she was with you,its obvious she was so beloved. :sadhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so very sorry. I, too, tragically lost 2 of my birds within minutes of each other this week. Having the necropsy done will help shed light on what happened to your baby and hopefully give you and your daughter some closure. Since she was still quite young she could have also passed due to something genetic.

Lodge cast iron pans are supposed to be teflon free.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Thank you for being a responsible bird owner and caring for your little girl.

I don't know what tests will show but I don't think it was you. The sad fact is many pets are inbred causing problems. Some like humans or any other creature just have genetic issues.

I hope you get the answers you seek to assuage your conscious and I hope you allow yourself to welcome another feather brain into your lives in the future. You sound great.

Xxoo