• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Sudden Aggression (Jealousy?)

Annamxliss

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
Hi everyone, I’ve decided to post on a forum about my question so I could get the best possible help. I have a two year old male Cockatiel, his name is Auggie. I’ve had him ever since he was a few months old so its safe to say me and him have a tight bond. I recently brought home another ‘tiel, a one year old male as well by the name Wiki. I went through the entire quarantine process and they both have their own cages. About a week ago I moved their cages next to each other so that they could see each other and communicate. Ever since then, Auggie my original ‘tiel has changed completely. Every time I come by to his cage he lunges at it with a hard bite, if I even try to pick him up he bites me, HARD! Its like he suddenly hates me, and this aggression is just upsetting me because i’m so confused on what I could’ve done wrong. I don’t punish him in any way, the most I do is tell him no and give him his room, but I want to be able to hold him and give him love again. My other ‘tiel, Wiki has been fantastic, no sign of aggression and he’s actually quiet the cuddle bug. My other concern is the amount of attention Auggie is giving towards Wiki, he watches every move he takes and if Wiki squaks, Auggie has to take the last word.
I’ve read that this could be that Auggie is jealous, that he sees me as his and he doesnt want to share. My plan originally was to move them into one cage but I’m scared for Auggies aggression towards me and possibly Wiki if they do come in contact with each other. What can I do, was it a mistake bringing home another ‘tiel? I want my boys to get along together and my oldest to get along with me already! Please help me with any sort of tips or tricks.
Thanks, Anna.

Nina Carr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nina Carr
I’m sorry to hear this. I’ve bred these birds for many years and have found quite a few to be very jealous. Move your new bird away and don’t play with him in front of the other one. When you do play with them do them both together. I’m sure they will be the best of friends.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Anna :)

How do your birds get on when out of their cages together?
They can only be housed together when they are friendly with each other.

Annamxliss

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
Welcome to the Avenue Anna :)

How do your birds get on when out of their cages together?
They can only be housed together when they are friendly with each other.
I have not let them out together at the same time just yet because of my fear that Auggie could also attack Wiki. I thought that by putting their cages next to each other they could get used to each other, but Auggies personality has taken for the worst because of it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would move the cages away from each other. I also would see how they react when out together while supervised. Are they flighted? There is more room to get away, and it might be the cage that’s making your first bird aggressive. Many birds can’t be housed together, but usually with two cockatiels, out of cage time together is okay. You can also give each bird individual attention in another room to keep your birds from getting jealous.

Annamxliss

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
I would move the cages away from each other. I also would see how they react when out together while supervised. Are they flighted? There is more room to get away, and it might be the cage that’s making your first bird aggressive. Many birds can’t be housed together, but usually with two cockatiels, out of cage time together is okay. You can also give each bird individual attention in another room to keep your birds from getting jealous.
Away from each other like different rooms or can I separate them from sight but in the same room? Yes they are both flighted.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
:welave:

Maybe try to move Wiki out of the room and see how Auggie reacts? This way you could see if it is Wiki or something else. I also agree with the others about letting them out to see how they react. Being flighted, they should be able to get away from each other if needed. If you do do this make sure to supervise them carefully to make sure no one gets hurt. I wish you luck with you cockatiels!

Annamxliss

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
:welave:

Maybe try to move Wiki out of the room and see how Auggie reacts? This way you could see if it is Wiki or something else. I also agree with the others about letting them out to see how they react. Being flighted, they should be able to get away from each other if needed. If you do do this make sure to supervise them carefully to make sure no one gets hurt. I wish you luck with you cockatiels!
Thank you very much, I’ll try that out and post an update. How long do you suggest for them to be apart again? Its only been a week that they’ve been next to each other.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Do you know if they are bonded yet? If they are it is not suggested to separate a bonded pair. If they aren’t I would separate them for about 1-3 days. If they calm down the first day then you know the cause of the aggression. The extra two days are so Auggie can calm down and realize Wiki is out of the room. I wish you luck! :)

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I agree to separate them but not in a way that you're totally hiding them from each other. Right now with the cages side by side, I bet Auggie is feeling threatened - like his personal space, his territory, is being disrespected in a way that's dangerous in his mind, and since he can't protect himself and his space (because of the cage bars) he probably feels frustrated and thus nippy and anxious constantly (also I'm fairly certain he is also acting protective of you - he's lived alone with you since he was a baby and while that makes us feel like the bird's momma the bird will eventually change that bond into a mate bond in his mind, so you gotta watch out for that). I would move them so they're quite far apart and have their own personal, private spaces, but can still see each other most of the time. Try to still give both birds "alone" time out of this room, away from the other bird, as well so they both know they're your special birdies ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would put the cage back where it was. Wasn’t that in the same room? I think the same room would be okay.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would suggest moving the cages to opposite sides of the room, if possible, and see how things go. Otherwise, try complete separation.

It's possible your first tiel wants to be mates with your second tiel (even if they are two males) and he's upset that you are preventing that/trying to make you go away from his mate.

Likewise, he could be upset over the entire situation and feels like his privacy is being invaded.