• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel strange behaviour

RayRay

Moving in
Hi! I have a roughly 5 month old cockatiel that I assume is a female based off of its behaviour. Its definitely taken a liking to me as it spends the entire day with me compared to family members.
Recently its started a strange behaviour that I'm not sure about. It sits on my laptop and gets thin, bows its head down, starts squeaking (not it's regular chirps), and basically looks like its shivering with its wings. It'll even come up to my hands if I'm typing and basically rub its head.

I'm not sure what this means, considering once I remove her she is completely fine and stops. She only ever does this on my laptop keyboard and sometimes on my shirt (but my laptop is on me). Her droppings are normal and her behaviour has not recently changed. I thought it was her trying to lay an egg or mate, but videos online show cockatiels rubbing themselves and not doing this.
I do have a video of her doing this as well but could not attach it :(

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
I've had cockatiels before and I'm pretty sure that's mating behavior from the female.

So basically she wants you to mount her :o:

I would discourage this behavior if possible so she dosen't associate you as her "mate"

And for pets/cuddles I would only pet her head and neck.

Not lower than that or else you'll be stimulating her hormones.

RayRay

Moving in
I've had cockatiels before and I'm pretty sure that's mating behavior from the female.

So basically she wants you to mount her :o:

I would discourage this behavior if possible so she dosen't associate you as her "mate"

And for pets/cuddles I would only pet her head and neck.

Not lower than that or else you'll be stimulating her hormones.
Thanks for your response! My previous tiel was a male and would simply rub himself on his perch which is why I am a bit more confused with her behaviour. I do sometimes kiss her back when she's preening and she allows it. However is not comfortable with hands on her wings (understandably so). Would you recommend I stop doing this as well? I do remove her now when ever she is trying to do this behaviour.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Thanks for your response! My previous tiel was a male and would simply rub himself on his perch which is why I am a bit more confused with her behaviour. I do sometimes kiss her back when she's preening and she allows it. However is not comfortable with hands on her wings (understandably so). Would you recommend I stop doing this as well? I do remove her now when ever she is trying to do this behaviour.
Of course!
And your male tiel was masturbating as well. :cautious:

And yes I would stop the kisses on her back I myself don't touch the lower areas.

And when she exhibits this behavior again I would gently remove her and place her on a perch or inside her cage.

RayRay

Moving in
Of course!
And your male tiel was masturbating as well. :cautious:

And yes I would stop the kisses on her back I myself don't touch the lower areas.

And when she exhibits this behavior again I would gently remove her and place her on a perch or inside her cage.
Ah ok! Thanks :) definitely going to stop kissing her below her neck and no more laptop for her haha

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Ah ok! Thanks :) definitely going to stop kissing her below her neck and no more laptop for her haha
Of course glad to help! :)

And I'm not sure how to stop your male's masturbating behavior since they usually do that if they're sexually frustrated/can't mate.

Maybe reduce daylight hours for both?

Hopefully someone else will chime in. :)

RayRay

Moving in
Of course glad to help! :)

And I'm not sure how to stop your male's masturbating behavior since they usually do that if they're sexually frustrated/can't mate.

Maybe reduce daylight hours for both?

Hopefully someone else will chime in. :)
Yeah I've reduced her daylight hours. I unfortunately don't have the male anymore, but I'm paying more attention to her behaviours since they're much different to what his were.