• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel sleeping

Kimmy k

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kim
Hello I have a three year old male cockatiel, Who has been sleeping more than usual in the day, he is eating and drinking and has normal droppings, Want to see an exotic vet and she visually could not see anything wrong with him is this normal?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is he molting? That sometimes can temporarily cause birds to be a bit more sleepy than usual.

Kimmy k

Real Name
Kim
No he’s not at this moment, he is picking at his feathers A lot but not molting right now

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Did your vet suggest any tests. I find that a change in behavior like that often indicates and underlying infection that can not necessarily be diagnosed by observation alone. Often if I go in for this they will give antibiotics and that fixes them up (even without a test). Some vets will do a culture to make sure there is an actual infection. You may have to be insistant that something is not normal since they can not always observe abnormal sleeping or eating habits in the short time that your bird is at the vet. You can also call back if you still think something is wrong and ask if there is something that can be done, be sure to mention that you are not observing new symptoms but you still feel that something is off and would like to know what can be done about it. They should at least suggest some testing.

I hope your bird feels better.

Kimmy k

Real Name
Kim
Did your vet suggest any tests. I find that a change in behavior like that often indicates and underlying infection that can not necessarily be diagnosed by observation alone. Often if I go in for this they will give antibiotics and that fixes them up (even without a test). Some vets will do a culture to make sure there is an actual infection. You may have to be insistant that something is not normal since they can not always observe abnormal sleeping or eating habits in the short time that your bird is at the vet. You can also call back if you still think something is wrong and ask if there is something that can be done, be sure to mention that you are not observing new symptoms but you still feel that something is off and would like to know what can be done about it. They should at least suggest some testing.

I hope your bird feels better.

Kimmy k

Real Name
Kim
Thank you, I will call the vet today and see if she can prescribe some form of antibiotic for him