• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel sleeping techniques

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
Hi how is everyone today?
Just wondering if it's normal for a female cockatiel to sleep without her head tucked in,
My male is quite a lot older and sleeps with his head tucked behind him where as my female is only about 7 month old and she always sleeps with her head straight forward,
Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi how is everyone today?
Just wondering if it's normal for a female cockatiel to sleep without her head tucked in,
My male is quite a lot older and sleeps with his head tucked behind him where as my female is only about 7 month old and she always sleeps with her head straight forward,
Is this normal or should I be concerned?
Mine seem to vary. Generally they sleep with their heads down slightly, not tucked under their wing, but that's only what I noticed during the day for their naps. During the night perhaps they adopt different sleep positions. As far as I am aware it's perfectly normal.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If she acting normally, playing, eating, etc. it’s fine if she sleeps without her head tucked in. Mine sometimes do that in the daytime when it’s a short nap. If she’s sitting fluffed up, not active, and looks generally I’ll, then she is sick and should see a vet.

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
Thanks for your reply she's definitely acting normal, I only notice it during the day as I have them covered up on a night.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau only ever tucked his head over his back when he wasn't feeling himself. Every tiel is different. Some will do it all the time, some will never. They'll do what's most relaxed and comfortable for them.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
My female tiel almost always sleeps without her head tucked. She usually sleeps with one eye open as well unless she's sitting on me because then she feels safer.