• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel sick?

Allie2222

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Zambrano
okay so I have a cockatiel I believe is sick. She was shaking a bit violently and her back tail is sort of sticking out. She standing weird and a bit tired. I’m not sure if it’s bad, and I can’t go to the vet till Tomorrow. Please help. She was active today and was in her mating phase (sticking her back out, making small chirping sounds). So maybe she’s tired from that?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Without seeing her, it's so hard to say. If you think, she's acting differently, then a vet trip is definitely the safest thing to do. The shaking a bit violently is definitely concerning to me. Could she have been having a seizure? Has she ever laid eggs? I hope she's okay.

Allie2222

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Zambrano
She’s laid eggs a year ago, and she’s been sexual active these past few days. I placed her in a small container with food and water and some warm towels. As I was warming up the towels, I noticed she started to seem more active. She wanted to come out of her cage. Which was confusing since minutes ago she was tired. I’ll see if I can take a picture

Allie2222

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Zambrano
This isn’t her but this is what she looks like standing. I think she’s egg bound. I’m currently in the bathroom with her, running hot water. It’s not possible for me to see the vet right now since they’re closing soon. It still doesn’t explain the violent shaking she had earlier. She isn’t doing it anymore.

Attachments

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Again, can you feel her vent to see if there's an egg? Is she able to poop?

Allie2222

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Zambrano
She just pooped a couple of minutes ago. I’ve tried to feel her vent but I don’t feel anything. And now she’s sexually active. I’m very confused

Attachments

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she's able to poop and you can't feel an egg, then she's probably not eggbound. I'd just try to keep her quiet and warm tonight and go to the vet first thing tomorrow.