• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel screaming

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
Hey, i hope everyone is doing well.

whenever I turn the lights on my cockatiel screams and I really mean screams with all of his life constantly, my other cockatiel seems to have no problem with anything. Its just the one and then when u dont turn the light off he starts flying around

pls help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What time of day or night is this happening?

My birds get very upset if their lights are turned on during their sleep hours.

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
At
What time of day or night is this happening?

My birds get very upset if their lights are turned on during their sleep hours.
Anytime tbh, even if he sleeps the whole day he wants it off 24/7

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It probably shouldn't be on at night if it's waking him up. Where is his cage located? How many hours of darkness does he get?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
At

Anytime tbh, even if he sleeps the whole day he wants it off 24/7
I’m not quite sure I understand your answer properly but to me it sounds like your bird has some weird sleep hours?
If your bird is sleeping all day it needs to be seen by a vet- it’s not natural, they need a decent amount of hours (all night) where they’re not disturbed by lights.

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
He is getting enough sleep but if the light is not completely off he throws like a tantrum starts flying around the room now and then if you dont turn the light off for prolonged period of time or he starts screaming up until the smaller bird eventually screams at him to tell him to keep quiet

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Your bird needs 10-12 hours of uninterrupted quiet and dark time. Its not really clear that they're getting this from your response. "light is not completely off" and "don't turn the light off for prolonged period" - this is what they need. Prolonged (10-12 hours) of dark, perhaps small night light if they're prone to night frights.

What is your routine with your birds? Are they kept in a busy part of the house? You mentioned he will fly around the room - do they not sleep in a cage?

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
Your bird needs 10-12 hours of uninterrupted quiet and dark time. Its not really clear that they're getting this from your response. "light is not completely off" and "don't turn the light off for prolonged period" - this is what they need. Prolonged (10-12 hours) of dark, perhaps small night light if they're prone to night frights.

What is your routine with your birds? Are they kept in a busy part of the house? You mentioned he will fly around the room - do they not sleep in a cage?
They sleep around 9-11 hours in dark and then a further 6 hour sleep they getting in slightly dark room with night light on.

he sleeps in a cage and i open the cage when i an about to leave the house, however when u turn the light on even for a few minutes he gets angry and first screams and if u dont turn then off within the next 3 or so minutes he flys around the room till u turn the light off. This repeats everyday even if the birb friend has slept the entire day

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Why is he getting another six hours in a dim room? Maybe he is afraid of the light? Or something out the window? In the daytime, birds do best in a bright area. How long will he fly around the room when the light is turned on? Still flying around after 20 minutes? Longer?

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
Hard to fully understand the situation here, but I do know that as soon as I take my cockatiel's cover off his cage in the morning, he is HYPE. Like he drank 5 red bulls or something. LOL. He will loudly flock call if I don't happen to let him out right away after taking the cover off, and once I open the cage, he almost always goes for a bit of a crazy flight before settling down. Maybe your bird just has a lot of excess energy in the morning he wants to burn off? Maybe he's getting too much sleep or not enough activity? Does he get lots of out-of-cage time during the day?

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
He
Why is he getting another six hours in a dim room? Maybe he is afraid of the light? Or something out the window? In the daytime, birds do best in a bright area. How long will he fly around the room when the light is turned on? Still flying around after 20 minutes? Longer?
He chooses to sleep another 6 nothing coukd be scaring him out the window as the curtains are almost always closed. He flies for about 10-15 secs then sits down and screams

after 20 minutes of first flight he is quite and repaxed but screans occasionally

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
It sounds like your routine is off. Why do you open the cage when you're leaving the house, for him to have free reign? You're saying between 9-11 hours of sleep at night and 6 hours more in dim light... 17 hours of darkness a day is good for no one. Maybe he's flying around and squawking to burn off excess energy from sitting in the dark 3/4 of the day. I'd reevaluate your routine. Let them sleep in the dark overnight, completely undisturbed. No TV or computer monitor light, etc., then open curtains for natural light when you feed them breakfast. Let there be bright natural light until sunset. Keep their cages closed when they're left alone and unsupervised. Take them out to play when you can. Their routine should somewhat mimic daylight hours.