• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jade56

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there!

I am a first time bird owner and decided on a cockatiel.

I did get him from a pet store so he was not handled much when he was small. He warmed up to me in about a week and now every time I let him out he flys up to my shoulder.

My problem is not with his chirping, I actually quite like that sound. My problem is every time I walk into the room with him or take him out, he lets out a trill, consistent scream. The longest I could bare to have him out was about 2 hours and he screamed the entire time and didn’t stop once.

I have looked into many ways to train this behaviour out of him but none of them are really applicable to my situation. I cannot reward him for “good behaviour” because he never displays those behaviours when I’m around him. As soon as I walk in the room he starts screaming. When I leave he stops. I thought he may be uncomfortable with me still but if I open his cage and don’t touch him he flys right to me (all while screaming).

I would love any advice on this.
Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bird is screaming for a reason. How long have you had this bird? What is the age and what are you feeding the
bird? Could be hunger. We need more information in order to advise you.

Jade56

I’ve had him for about 2 weeks, they didn’t tell me how old but I’m going to assume no older than 6 months. I am feeding him zupreem pellets. Let me know if I can provide anymore information. Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just pellets? That is not enough for a baby bird. Cockatiels I am told will often revert to wanting and needing hand feeding. You can feed soft foods that are cooked first like oatmeal mixed with some good seed blend. Here is another optihttps://aboutcockatiels.com/feeding-cockatiels/on Basics Plus Cockatiel Food | Goldenfeast Direct Chop up some fresh veggies too and offer them with millet seed sprinkled on top. Your bird is hungry! @sunnysmom[/USER @Tiel Feathers @Monica

[URL]https://aboutcockatiels.com/feeding-cockatiels/[/URL]

Last edited:

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I am also a cockatiel owner that got her pet from the store! I second that maybe the bird is hungry. Maybe she hates pellets as food because 99% of petstores feed their birds seeds! I also don't think he is too young to eat for himself, as petstores won't have birds so young that cannot eat seeds.

Prepare food dishes and water dishes for the tiel outside too. My tiel gets quiet lazy and prefers to scream to bring the food to her than her actually gloing back in her cage to eat.

Also a bored bird is a screaming bird! Try to give your tiel something to do outside of the cage. I recommend making foraging toys and target training. Especially target training. I recommend leaving in the cage with the tiel some millet spray for 1-2 days to get your bird hooked on the crack, and removing it and only using it for positive reinforment like in training, or when he does something good.

I trully find it weird that he screams ALL the time! Please try feeding him yourself seeds ( or pellets if he actually digs them) to get him full ( you can worry about changing his diet to pellets later, after like 1 month or something) and if this doesn't make him shut up a little bit, really look up target training. It helped me and my tiel a lot!

I also recommend putting a perch close to the door outside of his cage, so he doesn't neceserly have to fly to YOU. If he wants just to chill outside the cage, he can just hop on the outside perch and chill. Have you considered that maybe something in the room freaks him out? Who knows, it could be a possibility.

In the first 2 weeks, my bird was also really loud during 11-3 pm. Let's say that in 1 week he figured that you are not going to eat him so he goes to step 2, which is properly flock calling for his petstore mates. So maybe you will find that after 3-4 weeks he is not as loud because he got used to your house better.

You can also try to take him out from his cage when the light is dim. The more sunlight is in the room ,the more active and chatty the cockatiels are. That's why from morning till noon they chirp like crazy. Maybe you can try taking him out in the evening or in a room with dim lights so he is not as active.

I wish you all the best!

Last edited:

Jade56

Wow thank you so much for such an informative response! I’m not aware of what target training is, but I will definitely look into it.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I edited the last message with a little more ideas.I hope everything goes well! keep us updated. :)

lokis333

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mantas & Mary
Congratulations on your new 'tiel! I feel for you- a cockatiel scream can be very distressing- particularly if you can't figure out the cause!

It certainly sounds like the little fella is screaming for your attention, and agree it could be as is mentioned in the above comments. Although you don't know the exact age, I would still have a go at using this time to explore as many different foods as you can to supplement alongside the pellet or seed mix diet you choose- especially the veggies. My 'tiel although happy to try many different veggies will LOVE one thing for a couple of days and then completely change his mind :rolleyes: so I wouldn't give up and keep offering a variety of different things- and also present them in different ways (e.g. chopped/shedded/veggie kabob/ clipped to the cage). However, one thing that never fails is a good sprig of herbs clipped in his cage- mine loves basil, thyme but mostly rosemary as he loves to pull the twigs apart- it acts as a fun activity and keeps him quietly busy for some time!!

Also just wanted to check- (as he is screaming whilst out of the cage as well i imagine this isn't the case) but- is there anything in or around his cage that is upsetting/making him distressed? Mine started screaming continuously one day while I was in the room and I investigated only to find out he was having a major argument with his mirror bell toy....*they still haven't made up and the mirror bell is still in timeout till this day*
All the best! Please keep us updated :hug8: