• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel screaming

Avianary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rorschach
I recently got my cockatiel a few hours ago, for some reason he screams like crazy :/

It's giving me a really bad headache, is there any reason to why he's doing this? and what I can do to stop this?

This isn't a normal content sound, they're ear piercing screams.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Does he do this when you leave the room? Birds are flock animals and may contact call when they are frightened. How old is the cockatiel and how did you get him? We need a little more information to help you.

Avianary

Real Name
Rorschach
Does he do this when you leave the room? Birds are flock animals and may contact call when they are frightened. How old is the cockatiel and how did you get him? We need a little more information to help you.
I recently adopted him, he was in a cage alone so he hasn't bonded. I am not sure how old he is, he was brought in without any info I would say he is mature though, his face feathers and etc all seem to be out. He does it when I leave and when I'm in the room.

I would love to get him out and play with him, but he's not tame and hisses when I get my hand in the cage.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A few hours is really recent. Maybe he is scared? He needs time to get used to the new home & you. Is he eating ok?
I guess I would try to only interact from a distance unless you need to change cage papers food & water.
Go slow so he can see you are not going to hurt him then offer treats/
When he gets more settled you can make sure he has an adequate size cage & toys so he can entertain himself.

I wish you luck with him.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs time to settle in and get comfortable with you. When he screams, say shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and whisper to him. Sometimes it helps. It usually works with my tiels.

He could also be screaming because of the change of home. He doesn't know why he was moved from one point to another. Talk softly and sweetly to him and do not try to handle him now, in case you were thinking of it. One of my tiels passed away awhile ago. He did not want to be touched. Except to give him his medicine, we did not touch him.

Also, the human concept of time is very different from a bird's. A week is like a couple seconds.
Good luck with you new friend.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What size cage is he in? Where is it located? Does the bird have a way to remove himself from view? What kind of toys, etc are in the cage? I assume he has food that he is familiar with and access to water?

Birds scream for a lot of reasons. I would say if he is fearful, try to cover a corner or half of the cage with a blanket so that he has a place to retreat to for now while he gets used to his surroundings. If he is in front of a window or in a high traffic area, he may be feeling very vulnerable, especially with the changes that have happened to him!

Avianary

Real Name
Rorschach
Thank you for the advice everyone!

It's pretty quiet right now, and it's already nighttime so I doubt he's scared of any car noises or anything like that. His cage is placed in a corner near the window, but not directly.
He hasn't eaten yet, he's gone into the food and water bowl a lot but I don't think he knows what they are yet.

The cage is pretty big too. My camera isn't working right now so I can't take a picture But it's big enough for him to jump and fly around. It lacks some toys but I'm planning to get some more.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Corner is good :)

If it's a new cage and new perches, etc, he might just be afraid of some of the items in the cage, too. My rehome Quaker screams the most awful scream if I put something new in his cage that he's not ready for yet! It can be a challenge to learn what sets them off, especially in the beginning when you are still learning about each other.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird, and
:welave:
It sounds like he is very scared, so just take everything very slow. I'm glad he started eating, and covering part of his cage for now might be a good idea. Has he stopped screaming a bit yet? It might be quite a while before he's ready for any kind of interaction with you. The first step would be to sit near his cage and talk quietly to him. Whenever he seems stressed about something you're doing, back off. He needs to learn to think of you in only a positive way. This will help gain his trust. It takes a long time to earn a birds trust. Patience is key. When he's ready, giving him treats through the cage will help also. Hope he has calmed down and stopped screaming, the poor little bird!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are you feeding your new pal? Tiels should not be fed a diet entirely of seed. My tiels get a one Nutriberry a day in the morning with Harrisons pellets and Harrisons and 1 tsp in the evening. Some people give less millet and more pellets. Don't feed one of those cheap generic seed brands from supermarkets or pet stores. Many years ago I did feed Lafebers pellets. It is OK food, in my opinion. The vet wanted us to change, so we did. Anyway, ask people here what they feed and you'll get an idea of what to feed your pal.

You do need to strike the right balance between millet, pellet, or whatever you feed for seed. Believe it or not, you can do liver damage if your bird does not get enough seed or nutrition in general. Fortunately, you have come across a wealth of information on this board. There are many knowledgeable people who can advise you on diet and other things to make your bird's life better. I've had tiels 14-15 yrs. Some people have had them much longer.

Please do ask others what toys are good. Some toys the pet stores sell are not good and plain dangerous. I hang toys off the sides of my cages, near the bottom of the cage. If a bird gets caught up in it - at least they can get their footing to get out. Snuggles likes to chew newspaper and anything papery. Be careful of toys with parts your bird could choke on.

I am not sure I agree with him, but my vet thinks our new tiel lost all his primary feathers by getting caught in a toy and flailing around during the night. Maybe he is right, but that toy is gone. He came to us with that toy when we adopted him, but no matter. It's gone. Look at a toy and ask yourself, could this hurt my bird in *any* way?

Snuggles once got his foot tangled in some ribbon like straw material commonly sold, but I was right there to help him. I chucked the rest of that ribbon. If you happen to buy one of those little stainless steel tiny dome type toys where you put something in it for the bird to pull out, put shredded newspaper in there, or you could buy some colorful shredded paper to put in there. You could also put millet in there for a foraging activity. Birds like to work for their food. It's fun for them.

It's important to give them something fun to do, or they could develop unwanted behaviors.

Sorry for the long post. I want to prevent you from making mistakes I did. Thank God, I never lost any bird to an accident with a toy.

Last edited:

Avianary

Real Name
Rorschach
Thank you for the info :)

I am not feeding him any seeds, since I got him yesterday and till today, he has been eating "Zupreem Daily Bird Food" he was also fed the same brand from where I got him from.

The screaming has died down, he seems more comfortable in his new home now. He enjoys some millet seeds, and sings a lot. Still a little afraid of me though, he gets a little uncomfortable when I come near him but he doesn't freak out.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the first few days in new home are the toughest. Sweet Pea's First day I let her have a white noise machine near her cage. keep it soft and try just anything that doesn't have loud noises in it. even a radio will help. give the bird a chance to settle in to your routine. keep bedtime and awake time the same daily. try like 7 am to 7 pm it will help if the routine is the same.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for the info :)

I am not feeding him any seeds, since I got him yesterday and till today, he has been eating "Zupreem Daily Bird Food" he was also fed the same brand from where I got him from.

The screaming has died down, he seems more comfortable in his new home now. He enjoys some millet seeds, and sings a lot. Still a little afraid of me though, he gets a little uncomfortable when I come near him but he doesn't freak out.
I'm glad he's doing better. Just give him some time. : ) And also, an all pellet diet can be too hard on a tiel's kidneys just as an all seed diet can be too hard on their livers. I think it's best to do a combination along with vegetables, etc.

Avianary

Real Name
Rorschach
I'm glad he's doing better. Just give him some time. : ) And also, an all pellet diet can be too hard on a tiel's kidneys just as an all seed diet can be too hard on their livers. I think it's best to do a combination along with vegetables, etc.
I'll try that.

Avianary

Real Name
Rorschach
Aaand he's started screaming again.

Not only is it starting to stress me out, but it's also scaring my other pets :/

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
is he wanting your attention maybe? every time he screams walk away to another room the instant he is quiet treat him with sunflower seed or some thing small like that. reward positive, ignore negative behavior

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
When I got my breeders they are afraid of people so the male screamed for a bit. It died down but everyday he still goes on a screaming fit. Males are more loud than females so it could be possible that he is just chirping. Was he housed near other birds in his previous home? He could be making contact calls to another bird he used to chirp to. When i seperated a male from a female he screamed for days. It finally died down after a week or week and a half. Hopefully this will be your case. I know how headache causing it can be. Cover his cage when he starts. I mean cover every little crack. Mine used to find little holes and cracks and scream through them until the whole thing was completely covered.