• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel resists training/wont go in cage.

Dudedre

Moving in
Since I have a lot of spare time right now I thought it would be a good opportunity to teach my cockatiel to fly to me when called. Ive only taught him step up so far but that was many months ago when I first found him. I should start by saying he is not receptive to treats but does love head scratches usually. Ive watched videos on how to do this and I know its a slow process but he is very unreceptive (dare I say opposed) to it and bites/hisses at me when I try. I simply am asking him to step up, but with my hand placed slightly further than it usually is. I know he can reach it but he really just doesn’t want to for some reason, even though he is perfectly happy to step up if I provide my hand a little closer. Another thing is when he gets upset, I try putting him in his cage to cool down but he absolutely refuses and flies off before i can get him in. This goes on for several minutes before he is completely exhausted and even panting. I’ll try to attach videos of both occurrences if I can. What should I do?

Dudedre

Moving in
#1 is me trying to train him #2 is him refusing to get in the cage, I should also mention that several times in the past he’s drawn blood and given me many bruises when trying to put him away. Though usually he is pretty tame.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What treats have you tried using to train him?

Have you tried using head scritches as a reward?

To me, he looks unresponsive to stepping up and I would recommend going back to square one and not asking him to step up. Instead, just reward him for coming closer to your hand.

If he's upset, it's best to leave him be! Don't get him even more riled up as it's only teaching him to continue avoiding you. Just give him some space to calm down and once he has, just talk to him and see if he'll interact with you.