• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel prices

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find it hilarious that so many Americans are freaked out by our harmless or shy so called "scary" wild animals... should check out what is in your own backyards lmao. You have moose, bears, coyotes, opossums, quill throwing porcupines, snapping turtles, snakes, spiders and many other dangerous critters don't you?
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here in Switzerland like:
hide.0.gif

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
In the Netherlands we now have a wolf pack of 11 strong:roflmao: that’s the only remotely dangerous thing. There are same scary spiders but even boar are kept in practically fenced in nature reserve.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the Netherlands we now have a wolf pack of 11 strong:roflmao: that’s the only remotely dangerous thing. There are same scary spiders but even boar are kept in practically fenced in nature reserve.
Same - we have about 30-35 wolves, farmers keep shooting them unfortunately. We do have boars and lynx (apparently 250?) but they are extremely shy. They are also dangerously cute :loveshower:
natura-2000-research-in-czech-republic-2.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
daddy long legs
I remember seeing one here in Spain (I have only seen one in the whole time living here), and my partner is like ¨what on earth is that?!¨(in Spanish), and as I don´t know what they are called here, I´m like ¨It´s a daddy long legs!¨ (in English) ... He was like, what?! :huh:

Like my dude, no one is going to steal your frappe. Get a life.
:lol:

so far off topic?

Tiel prices -> gun laws??? :rofl:
I don´t know but remember politics talk isn´t allowed on AA and that topic errs on very close ;)

We do have boars and lynx
Same here.... and lots of mountain goats :geek:
It´s a pretty safe area here, we don´t get many predators... the boars would be the worst I think. We do get sharks from time to time near the shore but not sure which species and if they´re dangerous :shark:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Same - we have about 30-35 wolves, farmers keep shooting them unfortunately. We do have boars and lynx (apparently 250?) but they are extremely shy. They are also dangerously cute :loveshower:
View attachment 424267
That’s so cool!! I have tried to go Lynx spotting a few times in Germany but no luck yet. So sad about the wolves, here a group of people are radically against them as well. Makes me sad. I don’t think any have been killed illegally yet though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just looked out of curiosity. Ninfas are going for 35-40 euros around here. (37-43USD)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I just looked out of curiosity. Ninfas are going for 35-40 euros around here. (37-43USD)
What's a ninfa?

How do threads by @Xoetix end up so far off topic?
You know, I have no idea :rofl: at least we didn't get to selling feet photos on this one?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Down here we have the invasive ball python :(
Ball python? Really? That's... Actually hilarious. They're so mild mannered :roflmao: they're literally called pet rocks in a lot of reptile keeping circles.

I know y'all have Burmese pythons down there in the everglades, and people have spotted boas in a couple areas. The iguanas are one of the biggest problems though. Not to mention those suckers are MEAN!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Ball python? Really? That's... Actually hilarious. They're so mild mannered :roflmao: they're literally called pet rocks in a lot of reptile keeping circles.

I know y'all have Burmese pythons down there in the everglades, and people have spotted boas in a couple areas. The iguanas are one of the biggest problems though. Not to mention those suckers are MEAN!
Oops, I got Burmese and ball pythons confused :facepalm:
There aren't any wild populations of ball pythons (Maybe some released pets).
Burmese pythons are the ones disrupting the natural ecosystem :(

I imagine you've heard but during December the iguanas "Freeze" and fall to the ground :cautious:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oops, I got Burmese and ball pythons confused :facepalm:
There aren't any wild populations of ball pythons.

I imagine you've heard but during December the iguanas "Freeze" and fall to the ground :cautious:
Yeah :roflmao: and then people take the "frozen" iggies and put them in their car where it wakes up and causes utter chaos. Every year it happens a handful of times thatI hear about all the way up in VA andI don't understand how people in FL don't learn:rofl:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I love porcupines, with all the development around here I don't see them much anymore.
I always have elk, deer, mountain lions, many bobcats, bears, weasels, coyotes, moose are moving closer......I've been bitten by a black widow but didn't figure that out till much later what it was. apparently the twin holes and stiffness/pain that lasted over a month are a definite sign. I did kill the one I saw in my garden the next year, since Dr Google said it is more dangerous to get bitten a second time.
For the most part you just have to not be stupid, no matter where you are.

But to get to my original intent I want to clarify that porcupines do NOT shoot their quills. @Shezbug
Do Porcupines Shoot Their Quills? How Do the Quills Work? - NatureNibble
Porcupine Throws Quills

One of my favorite photos - Inger's window by Thomas Mangelson. I have a framed copy

1678022363707.png

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
Am I crazy, or have cockatiels jumped wildly in price all of a sudden?

I got Tteok for $75. I was looking for a friend for him (because I'm dumb, obviously) and every single tiel I find - breeder, Craigslist, rescue - is $200+. No matter the age, color, sex, tamed, untamed, handfed, weaned... Every single one is $200 or more.

What's going on here? Are they suddenly popular or something?
I got mine for $150, but yes, I think you are correct. A lot of the breeders I spoke with were wanting $200+. To be fair, the first cockatiel I got was more than 20 years ago - and I can't remember how much it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't more than $100. Other bird prices have skyrocketed as well. My ex and I purchased a baby Greenwing (he has her..ugh) from a lovely breeder around 2002 and she was $1200-$1500 I think. Can't touch them for anywhere near that now :(

I've been looking around for a Senegal and the last breeder I spoke with wanted 2k for her babies - ouch! Might just be me and Ekko for awhile!!

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I got mine for $150, but yes, I think you are correct. A lot of the breeders I spoke with were wanting $200+. To be fair, the first cockatiel I got was more than 20 years ago - and I can't remember how much it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't more than $100. Other bird prices have skyrocketed as well. My ex and I purchased a baby Greenwing (he has her..ugh) from a lovely breeder around 2002 and she was $1200-$1500 I think. Can't touch them for anywhere near that now :(

I've been looking around for a Senegal and the last breeder I spoke with wanted 2k for her babies - ouch! Might just be me and Ekko for awhile!!
African queen aviary has them for about 1,100, if you’re still interested ;)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Not sure where you're located but Gingers parrot rescue in AZ specializes in Senegals and is a fabulous rescue

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB