• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel prices

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Kiwi's Dad right now there is a cage and galah for $90, a proven breeding pair for $250 and the babies from that pair are $100. People tend to ask more for the handtame birds so some of them are a bit more for being handtame cos people are stupid and do not realise that handtame does not mean for every pair of hands... Burt is handtame but I would hate to see what would happen to someone just walking in thinking they can pet him or even ask him to step up for them so handtame does not mean stranger friendly!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Could you send me one?
Please :ashamed1:

Only $90 for a galah :eek:
I wish I lived in Australia but maybe not because I'd be seeing these :roflmao:
1677988482556.png

Last edited:

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my cockatiels was dumped on me :bored:
My other two, weren’t too bad, Sheer khan was $75 and Ryuk was $200 I think? That was almost 3 years ago.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Could you send me one?
Please :ashamed1:

Only $90 for a galah :eek:
I wish I lived in Australia but maybe not because I'd be seeing these :roflmao:
View attachment 424263
If it was not illegal to send you one I most certainly would have one in the post to you (tomorrow) on Monday afternoon! I guess the galahs and tiels are maybe costing so much there as the importing and exporting of birds to and from Aus is quite nearly impossible now, so if breeding lines were not kept pure and strong then less and less birds would be on offer over there- thankfully we have many good breeders here preserving the bloodlines of exotic birds we do have here. I am seeing more of the horrid deliberately bred hybrids popping up which is upsetting to see as far as I am concerned- this designer pet trade is not something I am happy to see supported. Don't get me wrong, I would never hold the pets accountable but I think people deliberately breeding hybrid macs and designer dogs (for example) should be stopped from breeding.

I find it hilarious that so many Americans are freaked out by our harmless or shy so called "scary" wild animals... should check out what is in your own backyards lmao. You have moose, bears, coyotes, opossums, quill throwing porcupines, snapping turtles, snakes, spiders and many other dangerous critters don't you?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Omg are galahs really fetching that amount there??
Yes, Galahs are not common here but popular. So usually expensive. We have one at the rescue I help with and I am really surprised she hasn't been adopted yet.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have seen them advertised on Gumtree from $80 up to about $300-$400 for a proven breeding pair. The prices are all over the place with all our native birds for sale- the only exception seems to be the ones you need permits for.

You can more often than not pick them up for free, if you are known to be a bird person people are always asking if you will take on or help find a new home for grandmas bird. I was asked to take one about a week ago and also about a month before that I was asked if Birdie wanted a friend- I obviously said no to both or you would have met them by now lol
People (non experienced with birds usually) in the city will pay stupid prices for them as babies then often give them away when they realise how messy and noisy they are and discover that a travel cage is not sufficient lol.
They also get illegally kept when someone rehabs one and is unfamiliar with the laws so there are plenty of them being rehomed for free same with corellas and SC2's.
What the frick?! $80 for a galah?!

SEND ME ONE!!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yes, Galahs are not common here but popular. So usually expensive. We have one at the rescue I help with and I am really surprised she hasn't been adopted yet.
Oh trust me, I've been eyeballing her for a while :roflmao: rescue adoptions are so hard though, because almost all want to do a home visit and I'm way, way out of the distance/range that's acceptable. The nearest rescue to me is about an hour away, but they only have a couple U2s and both have major health issues I'm not equipped for.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
You have moose, bears, coyotes, opossums, quill throwing porcupines, snapping turtles, snakes, spiders and many other dangerous critters don't you?
Thank you for pointing this out!
Last thing I'd want to meet is a wild bear!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You have moose, bears, coyotes, opossums, quill throwing porcupines, snapping turtles, snakes, spiders and many other dangerous critters don't you
Our opossums are actually really harmless, and super beneficial - they're resistant to rabies, and eat a lot of ticks. I try to attract as many to my yard as I can. I also find them super cute in a weird ugly way :roflmao: moose are WAY up north and northwest from where I am, and the US has only two snakes whose venom is medically significant (barring allergic reactions - for example, eastern and western hognose snakes are venomous, but only to the degree of a bee sting). Don't y'all have, like, all the venomous snakes?

You've got freaking carpet pythons and scrubs :cautious: (so jealous, love them). We don't have any pythons here.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
And don't forget the drop bears! :roflmao: We don't have those!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
You've got freaking carpet pythons and scrubs :cautious: (so jealous, love them). We don't have any pythons here.
Yeah, we have a heap of cool snakes, but I SO wish I could have a Hognose snake!
And don't forget the drop bears! :roflmao: We don't have those!
:rolleyes:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Our opossums are actually really harmless, and super beneficial - they're resistant to rabies, and eat a lot of ticks. I try to attract as many to my yard as I can. I also find them super cute in a weird ugly way :roflmao: moose are WAY up north and northwest from where I am, and the US has only two snakes whose venom is medically significant (barring allergic reactions - for example, eastern and western hognose snakes are venomous, but only to the degree of a bee sting). Don't y'all have, like, all the venomous snakes?

Harmless and beneficial but freaky gross looking lol I actually would be more concerned with the coyotes and bears you have than anything else on the list tbh. Realistically, most of what I would be terrified at the thought of is how many people may be carrying concealed weapons while I was simply shopping for food- that stuff really freaks me out cos it is not normal where I am from- hardly anyone carries concealed weapons- police and some armoured guards for ATM emptying and filling, prison transport guards do not even carry weapons here (I know this about prison guards only cos I used to have to make lunch for the prisoners and guards travelling to court not because of any other reason).

I get the impression that what we think is normal for you guys and what you guys think is normal for us here is totally off the mark but it is the things that we have picked up as being more normal for the other place and so abnormal for us. I lived in the City of Melbourne for most of my childhood and never saw a snake there ever, same goes for spiders, we mainly only really saw daddy long legs in the city- I spent a lot of time with my grandad in the country though and that is where I would see snakes and huge spiders and stuff- I also live in a fairly remote country area now so I get to see more wildlife than my family in the city. We do have some of the worlds most venomous snakes I believe but I can tell you now that most city people would only ever see them in the zoo or in a freak sighting- they are part of life where I live but they are not found everywhere- I have many friends who have never seen a snake outside of a zoo.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I actually would be more concerned with the coyotes and bears
Coyotes are weird. They can look all menacing and scary but they're super skittish unless something is wrong, like disease or starvation. I've seen a couple in my neighborhood (and I live in the inner city area) and as soon as I clapped my hands they shot off. But people still let their cats outside and then wonder why Fluffy hasn't come home :sour:

Realistically, most of what I would be terrified at the thought of is how many people may be carrying concealed weapon
Yes, this is definitely the scariest thing about the US. People waive their guns around during road rage incidents, walk into Walmart wearing a freaking AK-47, sit at Starbucks with a revolver on their hip... Like my dude, no one is going to steal your frappe. Get a life.

It's only gotten worse over the past few years too. The... Uh... Political spectrum swing that happened has made it more prevalent.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg my internet wont let me add the quote and is doing all kinds of mad erratic stuff!

That would seriously terrify me- here we only really see farmers with rifles and shotguns that are used only when really necessary and the few weirdos who think taking a gun to a shooting range is cool but the licensing here is quite strict and spot checks are frequently done on who has access to the gun safe keys, how the guns are kept in that safe (which also has ott requirements for how the safe is installed) and how the ammo is kept when not in use (people cant just carry them all over the place here), the want for guns here is minimal from what I know and there is no lenience for showing a weapon in a road rage or any other incident- I believe that is a chargeable offence and you would also loose your right to own a gun.

People do not carry guns with them unless they are actively on their way to shoot foxes or go hunting for legal game.

For example with the spot checks on how guns are stored and who has access to gun safe keys- I know in the last three years the police have shown up more than three times at my dads house to question my step mum and my half brother on where the keys for the safe are, they then returned when my dad was home to inspect the safe and check it was installed correctly and check his routine for storing guns and ammo and check on his licence and chat with him about gun safety etc.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm pro gun, shooting ranges are super fun (if you can afford them, they're weirdly expensive) - but I'm a huge supporter of much stricter laws. There's no reason that ANYBODY should be able to own a gun. I know a lot of people who shouldn't be within 100ft of one. And yet, no matter how many shootings we have, nothing ever changes.

I'm moving down there.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh and there are strict rules for carrying guns in the car on the way to your legal hunting trip- they can not just be sat on the seat next to you. Ammo and guns must be kept separate at all times.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh and there are strict rules for carrying guns in the car on the way to your legal hunting trip- they can not just be sat on the seat next to you. Ammo and guns must be kept separate at all times.
Gun laws depend on the state here.

If you open carry in my neck of the woods (and aren't hunting), you'll get a freak out. And hunters aren't allowed loaded weapons in the car.