• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel prices

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Am I crazy, or have cockatiels jumped wildly in price all of a sudden?

I got Tteok for $75. I was looking for a friend for him (because I'm dumb, obviously) and every single tiel I find - breeder, Craigslist, rescue - is $200+. No matter the age, color, sex, tamed, untamed, handfed, weaned... Every single one is $200 or more.

What's going on here? Are they suddenly popular or something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think all birds have jumped up since COVID. Even going by PetSmart, Budgies used to be $15-30 and now they are about $50. Green cheeks used to be $400 and now they are $800.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think all birds have jumped up since COVID. Even going by PetSmart, Budgies used to be $15-30 and now they are about $50. Green cheeks used to be $400 and now they are $800.
I saw a sun conure at Petsmart for $1000 last week. Freaking nuts.

Is it just smaller birds? Cockatoos seem to be around the same price as always from what I've seen (not looking for another one, but I always look at them. I have no explanation). Except galahs - those seem to have gone from 3K to anywhere between 5K-8K. But SC2s and U2s all seem to be around 2500-3K which is where I've seen the price for a couple years now.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Even the local rescue prices have gone up, way up here. I can see some the reasons why: price of food :grain has gone up, prices for formula up, price of fruit and veggies up. Heck even water price up ,housing up.
It's inflation.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Prices in general have gone up. I am surprised that rescue prices have too but I guess it makes sense. The rescue I help with hasn't though. I believe tiels are still $50.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Prices in general have gone up. I am surprised that rescue prices have too but I guess it makes sense. The rescue I help with hasn't though. I believe tiels are still $50.
I think you're a little far away from me :roflmao: I'm so far south in VA I'm just about in NC

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
inflation sucks. budgrigars used to be only $40 in my area, and now their $60 each here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well I am happy about those price increases :)

I´m sorry it will cost you more for a friend for Tteok, but think of all those folks who would have bought an impulse 20 dollar budgie, who will now think, hmmm 60 dollars.... ??? People that rush in to buy a bird without any research because they´re cheap.

It will give value to the birds and hopefully in the long run lessen the amount of birds in shelters.

Yes, I am aware the price increase is a result of inflation and not that chain pet store have grown a conscience.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I saw a pet shop selling cockatiels for 400 :eek:

Is it just smaller birds? Cockatoos seem to be around the same price as always from what I've seen (not looking for another one, but I always look at them. I have no explanation). Except galahs - those seem to have gone from 3K to anywhere between 5K-8K. But SC2s and U2s all seem to be around 2500-3K which is where I've seen the price for a couple years now.
A pet show near me was selling a GW for 7,000 and I’ve seen hyacinths go up to 30,000 :blink:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
People that rush in to buy a bird without any research because they´re cheap
True, I hadn't considered that aspect. It just sucks for me :roflmao: probably sucks for Tteok too. I'lljust have to keep my eyes peeled for one going for less than 200.

saw a pet shop selling cockatiels for 400
That's what Petsmart has them for right now! I was like are you freaking serious?!

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Am I crazy, or have cockatiels jumped wildly in price all of a sudden?

I got Tteok for $75. I was looking for a friend for him (because I'm dumb, obviously) and every single tiel I find - breeder, Craigslist, rescue - is $200+. No matter the age, color, sex, tamed, untamed, handfed, weaned... Every single one is $200 or more.

What's going on here? Are they suddenly popular or something?
I was just browsing petco and saw a sweet tiel there...365! They don't like selling their birds I guess

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Omg are galahs really fetching that amount there??

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Omg are galahs really fetching that amount there??
Yeah :arghh:

Probably the only bird I would break my "no new species" for. They're in that dream bird category, and with that price tag they're going to have to stay a dream.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wont tell you how many I see on the side of the road every time I go out. They are everywhere here! Lol they are honestly not the smartest birds out of all in the cockatoo family- if you get one it will fit right in with Tteok :laugh:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
He has no idea what you're talking about :lol:
20230302_131956.jpg

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

U2s only at 3k?
Down here in Florida, I've seen them at 6k :confused:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How much do they fetch in your area?
I have seen them advertised on Gumtree from $80 up to about $300-$400 for a proven breeding pair. The prices are all over the place with all our native birds for sale- the only exception seems to be the ones you need permits for.

You can more often than not pick them up for free, if you are known to be a bird person people are always asking if you will take on or help find a new home for grandmas bird. I was asked to take one about a week ago and also about a month before that I was asked if Birdie wanted a friend- I obviously said no to both or you would have met them by now lol
People (non experienced with birds usually) in the city will pay stupid prices for them as babies then often give them away when they realise how messy and noisy they are and discover that a travel cage is not sufficient lol.
They also get illegally kept when someone rehabs one and is unfamiliar with the laws so there are plenty of them being rehomed for free same with corellas and SC2's.