• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel possibly electrocuted himself from light bulb wire.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well there usually is a gfi on the plug or a circuit breaker in the fuse box and they usually feed more than one circuit so sure you could loose all the plugs in the kitchen if one of them blows. It probably was a gfi because they blow much faster than the circuit breaker so whatever touched it doesn't get killed from the shock.
The standards for how your house is wired there might be different than here in the US but should be similar.

Bird dude

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Iwan
I am so sorry for never replying back again.
But to summarize: he is okay.

Actually, he is as okay before the accident as after. I checked for permanent damage, but didn't find any. Except for a tiny bit of black next to the eye, but that could just as well be feathers, and resolves when he molds.
The lamp wire has been repaired, and while he does sit on the lamp post thing again, he somehow doens't chew on the wire anymore. Not even when the lamp is turned on while he sits on it. I didn't discipline him in any way, he simply just stopped doing it. Odd, but i am satisfied he no longer destroys.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad he’s okay! I would watch him constantly when he is on the lamp, because over time he might start chewing it again. Better yet, maybe try to encourage him to sit on a play stand or something else instead.