• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel pooping in water/food bowls all night

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Hello! My cockatiel, Tuna, has an annoying habit of sleeping on her food and water bowls all night. She ends up pooping in said bowls and I’m worried she’ll drink the dirty water or food.
Her bowls are at the top of her cage where I know she is most comfortable. I don’t really wanna remove the bowls if I can help it, especially not her water. As of tonight both bowls are at the bottom of the cage, but I’m still worried she’ll still poop in them all night.
Is there a way to get her to sleep on one of her perches instead? It’s a pain to clean the poop out from her bowls every morning and I don’t want her getting sick. Thanks guys!

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Hey!
A simple way to ensure Tuna has always fresh water available to her is a water silo.
(though my budgies managed to poop in that too... but far less)
She will also be forced to use a perch..
Something like this;

Just make sure she isn't afraid of it and uses it before completely remowing the water bowl.

mak

The first step is to see whether or not moving them to the bottom helps. Tiels usually like sleeping higher up. If she does sleep on a high perch, the next step is to notice where on the perch she sleeps so that the dishes can be positioned in an area that is not under where she sleeps.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
The first step is to see whether or not moving them to the bottom helps. Tiels usually like sleeping higher up. If she does sleep on a high perch, the next step is to notice where on the perch she sleeps so that the dishes can be positioned in an area that is not under where she sleeps.
:lol:... or have the bowl under a poop deck ( platform ).. But not even this is poop-proof
:roflmao:

mak

Hey!
A simple way to ensure Tuna has always fresh water available to her is a water silo.
(though my budgies managed to poop in that too... but far less)
She will also be forced to use a perch..
Something like this;

Just make sure she isn't afraid of it and uses it before completely remowing the water bowl.
I actually use this, as well as a food dish with a hood both of which prevent the problem. I was hesitant to suggest it as I know many AA members prefer metal food dishes over plastic.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I actually use this, as well as a food dish with a hood both of which prevent the problem. I was hesitant to suggest it as I know many AA members prefer metal food dishes over plastic.
Unless you full on desinfect the plastic or preferably buy a new one every couple of months.. Well it's a blessing and a curse.
I prefer SS/ ceramic also.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is great advice :)
Lots of birds refer to sleep high up. Figuring out where they like sleeping, then putting the bowls lower down and away from them is the best solution.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That one is expensive! Try this instead:

I use the Aosta for almost all my birds and it is a good size - but I change water often. Go with the bigger one if you let bad stuff grow in the water lol.

mak

That one is expensive! Try this instead:

I use the Aosta for almost all my birds and it is a good size - but I change water often. Go with the bigger one if you let bad stuff grow in the water lol.
That's the one I use as well. :)

Attachments

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I moved them to the bottom last night (I live in Australia so the times might be weird lol) and didn’t see any poop in them. I’m pretty sure she sleeps on a perch close to the roof around in the middle off the cage so I’ll keep the bowls on the sides if she keeps sleeping there. Thanks for the advice!

mak

Yeah I moved them to the bottom last night (I live in Australia so the times might be weird lol) and didn’t see any poop in them. I’m pretty sure she sleeps on a perch close to the roof around in the middle off the cage so I’ll keep the bowls on the sides if she keeps sleeping there. Thanks for the advice!
If you put clean paper on the bottom of the cage before she goes to sleep, you'll be able to tell pretty clearly in the morning where she slept by the location of all the poop from the night. :)