• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent cockatiel plucking or something else ??

urvogel

Moving in
Ive had piki for 5 years, she sometimes bites herself when preening at first i was checking her whenever she made noises when she kinda bites herself and she was allright so i figured that shes okay lately about month and a half i noticed she hada bald spot under her wings with no signs of irritated skin or blood and a bald spot on her umm shoulder ??? im wondering if her feathers dont grow normaly or is it it hing her so she rips them off, other than that she behaves normally, just that agressive preening around this area and under wings

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Time to see avian vet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It definitely looks like plucking, but with it so focused in one spot, points to something medical going on.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
With the skin looking red and with the other location under wings I would deffinatly get a veterinarian visit to rule out heath issues.

Shoulder plucking can be behavior but like Mizzely said it not usually thst focused.

But under the wing is more often internal medical heath issues

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if it could be giardia. I remember some members in the past who's tiels had it saying that plucking under and around the wings was a symptom.

urvogel

Moving in
im gonna look if there is any avian vet in my city and around i hope its not serious her poop is normal tho

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poop is just one way thing to look at for diagnosing illnesses. :) Depending on where you are at you may have to look outside of your city.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What tests did they do? Behavioral plucking is not usually centralized in one spot like that.

urvogel

Moving in
What tests did they do? Behavioral plucking is not usually centralized in one spot like that.
they did none, just a swab to see if the skin is infected or if she had mites and its all clear, got in a little argument when they told me there are no blood or poop tests, there are two vets that are profesionalized for birds( researched and called every vet clinic i could find in Bosnia) if i spot any other symptoms that indicates some desiese the only option is to go to the neighbour country i pray to god that this isnt serious