• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel plucking after laying eggs

MarieBux

Moving in
Hello everyone,

I'm a becoming increasingly concerned as my female cockatiel daisy has been plucking on her chest feathers and a bit around the top of her legs.

Daisy also laid her first egg on the first of July. She had a cluch of 4 egg which we're fertile. On the 28th of July her first egg hatched. but unfortunately the other 3 we're dead in shell.

I notice about a couple weeks ago that she had gone bold in the mentioned areas above, this can only been seen when she puffs up. I had no concern as I thought it was normal for bird to pluck for nesting material. But after a search in Google I have come to the realisation that this might not be the case.

Unfortunately my knowledge is very limited when it comes to cockatiel breeding as this was a very unexpected event. This is because I was told that Draco (male cockatiel) was female when I first got him.

She generally seem to acting her normal self (beside the new behaviour of becoming a recent mummy) and is eating normal as well.

I would be grateful for any information or advice in relation to plucking after egg laying.

My general question is, is it normal for female cockatiels to pluck during incubation or could this be something else?

I hope someone can help by shining some light on the situation, thank you in advance!!

Marie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hen sometimes pluck a ¨brooders patch¨. They use the feathers to line the nest and the bare skin helps pass the heat to the eggs/chicks. It later grows back.

Do you have a picture?

@Tiel Feathers @finchly @Birdbabe

MarieBux

Moving in
Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply

I have attached a couple pictures, in the picture I have brushed the feather to the side. But as you can see the it is over quite a large area.

I hope these picture are helpful

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is normal for the hen to pluck a patch to warm the eggs, most birds do this,,but do keep an eye on her, so it doesn't become a problem..

MarieBux

Moving in
Thankyou so much for replying. You both have really put me at ease