• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel perches

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
hello , I'm planning to get more perches for my tiel since there is room for it in the cage , the guy in the pet store suggested that I make a perch from wooden broom stick and cut it on the long of the cage ( like the photo below )
so I just wanted to ask are those kind of perches would be good and comfortable for him? aren't they too big for his feet? the guy in the pet store told me that most people make those as perches , so I just wanted to be more sure that they are good choice to add them with his other perches

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would not use a broom handle because they are uniform in shape and not good for your birds feet. Your bird needs a variety of perches such as rope perches, platform perches and natural wood perches. Many vendors here on AA sell some wonderful perches for your bird that will last a long time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Tiel Feathers above. Broom handles are the same as dowels are for birds feet, not great. For the price of the broom you could buy a perch that has more variety in it.

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
the problem is in my country they doesn't sell such perches , I looked everywhere and no pet store have them they have just dowels, and buying online is complicated here and I can't do it yet so I just have to make a perch by myself for now at least

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can make your own perches out of bird-safe woods. Some tree species contain toxins in their wood which are harmful to our birds so it is very important that you know exactly which species of tree your wood is from. If you know any gardeners or tree surgeons, you can ask them if they have any suitable pieces after they've trimmed trees. Use wood from trees that have not been sprayed with pesticides or have been exposed to high levels of pollution.

Once you have your wood, give it a good scrub with disinfectant. I use F10. If your lengths of wood will fit in an oven, you can also bake it to sterilise it and kill off any bugs, fungi etc.

Use wood of different diameters so that your bird has choices about where to perch. I have perches ranging from around 1" in thickness to one I made myself that's over 2" in thickness.

Here is a list of safe woods: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Here is a guide to making perches: Parrot, Birds, Perches: Bird Perch. Bird Safe natural wood perches. Parrots Supplies.

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
thank you for these links and tips ! I will see what I can do to make a perch