• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel overwait?

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
I don't know yet I ordered a perch scale.

Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you post a few more pics? Tiels rarely over eat. So if she has a good diet and gets regular out of cage time, my guess is she's fine. Is she flighted? A way to check weight is to check the keel bone.

PhoenixGW

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney
Is my baby over wait if so what do I do?
She looks fine at a glance, but it is really difficult to tell by just looking. Keep in mind that different birds come in different sizes, so the best way to know if your bird is a good weight is to visit an avian veterinarian and ask them. From there, you can take your birds current weight / the vet’s idea of their condition, and use a scale to ensure that you’re staying within a normal margin.
I’ve found that cockatiels can be anywhere from 80-110 grams, but larger and smaller birds do exist.

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
Thank you all she gets out of her cage everday for a couple hours I let her take food and water breaks she has fresh water and fresh food all the time. I thought she was over wait because she has a line on her belly and I have a over wait budgie and he had that line.

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
I plan on taking her to the vet once a year is that good? Also when should I take her for a checkup?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I plan on taking her to the vet once a year is that good? Also when should I take her for a checkup?
Once a year is good for a checkup. As for the line, you can see in my profile pic, my 'too has a line. That doesn't necessarily mean a bird is overweight. (Mine is not.) It depends on how much fat there is on the other side.

keel bone.jpg