• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel or Lovebird?

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
First of all I wasn't to sure where this post would fit, so sorry if I wrongly posted here.

Anyway, I have been doing some EXTENSIVE research on cockatiels and lovebirds. I had a pair of sibling parakeets at one point and I loved them. Unfortunately I could never really hold them. I tried for months. When I did catch them they were obviously under a lot of stress so I ended up just admiring their beauty from the outside.

Anywho, back to my question. I love both birds and can't seem to choose. At this point the only thing separating my decision is the noise level. The bird would be kept in my room, since that is where I am most of the day. My room is right next to my mother's room. I don't mind birdie chatter, If I could have a room full of them I could, my mother on the other hand isn't as big an animal lover. I've listened to a lot of videos of both types of birds to gain an idea of their sounds. Lovebirds have a really high pitched song, which I find would really tick my mom off. Cockatiels, from what I can see have a lower pitch.

Does anyone have experience with both. Do they 'talk' pretty much all day, or is it just sporadic screams? I found someone giving away a lovie, so if its chatter isn't as high as I've seen I would gladly take it.

Sorry for going so much of topic. Thanks for the help!

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
I have experience with 'tiels and have had a lifetime of it. They're usually vocal mainly in the mornings. Currently the flock consists of 2 'tiel hens that are family pets and live with my parents. They'll scream when someone comes home and a little in the mornings. I've found that hens are typically quieter than males and don't really sing. However, as @Anne & Gang can attest to with Sam there are always exceptions to the rule. However, i used to work nights and I was rarely woken up by my girls when I was sleeping during the day. Either way I vote 'tiel. They're cute, cuddly and highly entertaining.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have experience with lovebirds, but I have a male tiel who is really pretty quiet. He will chirp in the mornings to be uncovered and then he normally has a singing spree in the afternoon for 15 minutes or so. Then, he'll mimic sounds when he hears them-like the microwave beeping. And he does definitely chirp his little head off when I come home from work. :) As Trinity said, typically female tiels are quieter than males, but as with my tiel, there are always exceptions.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Tiels are amazing, funny little sweethearts with personality plus. Females are typically much quieter than males though they do vocalize and of course there are exceptions (our female tiel talks as well as shrieks for her mate , my hubby, a lot and it sometimes takes nerves of steel to endure it..Mind you that usually only takes place during hormone season)..Males are usually much more vocal. OUr little handicapped male tiel is a real singer and shrieker..when he starts in they can hear him upstairs on the third floor..Fortunately, I live with relatives and they all love birds. There are pros and cons to getting any bird, be it a lovebird or a tiel. There are many many tiels in rescues and on craigslist because people find them too noisy and too much work. Many regard them as a starter bird which is absolute nonsense. There have been a few posts here on help to have the tiel quiet down..some can become very very attached to their owners and just scream all day when they are not around. That can be solved. A female tiel can come with a whole set of issues too..there is the possibility of egg laying and also egg binding which can be very expensive and dangerous for the bird. I am glad you are doing y our research. Any bird you get will never be "perfect"..each bird comes with a set of yays and nays. Have you had any experience with Pi's? I have heard these birds can be quite quiet but of course they are vastly more expensive etc. @Shade

Also any bird you get will have a set of issues regarding level of "tameness" and "cuddliness".

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Thanks for all of the replies ! I have been internally leaning towards tiels too, just wasn't too sure. When my mother works, she is gone way before anyone is up (around 5:30) and comes homes when everyone is starting to settle down (around 8:30- sometimes later) They way you guys describe them makes me feel so much better. A shriek every now and then is expected. It seems like a female is more the way to go with me, but I'm really afraid of the problems they may have with laying. I suppose I'll do more research on them to get better acquainted with their habits to feel more at ease. I

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks for all of the replies ! I have been internally leaning towards tiels too, just wasn't too sure. When my mother works, she is gone way before anyone is up (around 5:30) and comes homes when everyone is starting to settle down (around 8:30- sometimes later) They way you guys describe them makes me feel so much better. A shriek every now and then is expected. It seems like a female is more the way to go with me, but I'm really afraid of the problems they may have with laying. I suppose I'll do more research on them to get better acquainted with their habits to feel more at ease. I
You can't go wrong with a tiel. As Anne said, people consider them a "starter bird",and don't give them enough credit for being a great bird-which they are. We have 3 tiels now, they each have very distinct personalities, and are treasured members of our family (or flock,if you like). :)

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Tiels are fabulous pets. Lots of personality. Mine chattered a lot but I wouldn't characterize as loud. Tiels are wonderful :heart:

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Well, I can't weigh in on training, because Buddy is STUBBORN. That being said, she is a sweet little bundle of personality, and is happy as long as she has someone to hang with (or on).

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My eight cockatiels make very little sound until mating season (right now) when the males sing for the girls until they all pair off. Four of my eight tiels are still completely hand tame and land on me often for scritches and treats. My lovebirds, however, although not any noisier than the tiels, are much more into one another and although both birds were hand raised, refuse to be handled. Again, I have to recommend cockatiels to you. A hand raised lovebird baby would remain hand tame if kept as an only bird and handled daily, if I told by lovebird breeders; but as soon as they have a chance to bond with another of their species, they prefer the other bird to the human. I have found this practically so with all nine lovebirds I have ever had since getting birds. And I do love lovies.

Tongue Flicker

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Neil Moreton
Both are pretty birds but you're concerned about the noise. If you can't tolerate high-pitched sounds like a puppy's wail then choose the tiel. If you can't stand a cat's low frequency mating call then choose the lovebirds.

My next door neighbor keeps a lovebird and i have a tiel. wheN both make a sound i could easily distinguish which is what.

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Well guys, the response I got from everyone is great! But..I actually switched it up completely and got me a parrotlet. I think I made the right choice thus far. Willow is GREAT!

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Haha! This is the first time i've heard of parrotlets so i had to google them out haha! congrats! :)
I didn't know of there existence either... until I started my research for a new bird. it's a pity they aren't more known, they are awesome lil things. Lots of spunk!