• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel on Edge

LuluZuzu

Sitting on the front steps
Hi,

In the past week or so my 6-month-old male cockatiel seems to be really on edge.
He screams almost all the time, especially while preening. When he's on me, he acts like he's on crack and runs from one place to another. He just seems like he's on edge worried about something happening. He also started biting my finger and getting mad at me when I try to get him to step up, something he has never done before this (he is tame and trained to step up). He asks for scritches and appears like he's enjoying them but suddenly he will get angry and bite me, then begs for scritches again. The bites are not that hard and he has never drawn blood.

Our biggest issue is the pacing/moving nonstop like he's worried about something and the screaming (it's not whistling, flock calling, or singing, he's literally screaming). Otherwise, he is pooping normally, eating/drinking normally, and appears healthy if I don't count the raggedy look from all the feathers falling off.

He had a "mini?" molt two months ago for about three weeks, I could feel the pin feathers on his head and he only lost the small feathers during this time (body and head). The wing and tail feathers were not affected during that molt. A week ago it seems like his real molt began because all the big feathers on the wings and tail are falling and being replaced by new ones. I can still feel pin feathers on his head, but not in the same quantity as in the mini molt. Around the time he started the big molt, he also said his first word "peekaboo" and is badly singing "If You're Happy and You Know It" lol.

Is he going through puberty? Is he stressed out by the molt? He had a vet check-up last month and was in ideal health and weight.

Any insight would help.

Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@sunnysmom may have some insight on this. How is he eating and is his cage in front of a window? If so i suggest you put it against a wall so he cannot see outside.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Running back & forth screaming could be many things. Do you have other animals? As @Lady Jane mentioned, Is his cage directly in front of a window? Do you have stray cats or large birds that come into view through windows?
Even though he's molting his feathers shouldn't be too "raggedy" unless he's an awful preener. Do you have oil burners/incense, inside smokers or any other odours? That could also be why he's flipping out

The biting then bowing for scritches & then more biting sounds like relatively common cockatiel behaviour.. Cheeky little buggers, though considering he's molting it could also be due to rubbing a pin feather the wrong way &/or hormones, you can guide birds to lower their beak strength in many ways but it'll take patience & there are many variables, especially species, behaviour & whether they're bonded to you, I'd recommend surfing the web on that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi. Sorry I am just seeing this now. He could be starting to go through puberty. The pacing as TheBirb said is usually an indication that he wants out. He could also be uncomfortable if he's molting. Adding brewers yeast (human grade) to his food for 3-4 days can help with the stress of molting. Does he have toys, etc to keep him busy?