• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel not acting right

Teil1278

Moving in
We had to board our birds so we could go on vacation. While we got them back yesterday and the quaker and grey are acting normal and eating fine. But our cockatiel is not singing anymore and sleeps a lot. The store did say he had a bad night fright and lost a few feathers and two blood feathers. There was blood on his cage and even some on our Grey's holding cage. It has been only one day since we got him back and he stayed at the pet stpre for a week. He is eating and playing a bit with my mom but seems sleepy and grumpy. Thanks.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Vet this morning

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm confused. Is this the same bird as in your other thread? What happened to going to the vet this morning?

Teil1278

Moving in
I called and the only time the vet has open is tomorrow.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you stress to them that this is an emergency or just ask for an appointment? Can you ask to do an emergency drop off today?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Vet today please

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know vets vary, but I have literally never been refused a same day appointment when I've assertively said that it was an emergency and I was willing to wait as long as necessary and/or pay whatever fees were required.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I know vets vary, but I have literally never been refused a same day appointment when I've assertively said that it was an emergency and I was willing to wait as long as necessary and/or pay whatever fees were required.
I know it's a little bit risky, but I don't call them, I just go thier if it's an emergency. I have never been refused care doing so and I think that they understand what to prioritize.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, that's also a good approach. I've been fortunate enough to never need to do that since I've always had good relationships with my various vets.