• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hi my cockatiel Kiwi had a night fright last night he is ok and lost 2featherss but is fine now. Is there any way to help him not get night frights or decrease the chances of him getting a night fright? Thanks!:tieln::tiel::tiel3::tiel::coolparrot::tieln::tieln::tieln::tieln:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They are prone to that so hence the nightlight.
Rio likes a nightlight too...Big bummer during blackouts as I have to give him a flashlight...LOL

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My male budgie Murphy began having night frights about 7 months ago. I did a bit of research and found this LED light that shines blue and does not disturb a birds sleep cycle. It clips right on to the cage. When I cover the cage at night I clip this light on the side down low and have not have any night frights since the first night of using this lamp. I highly recommend it. I got 2 bulbs on hand in case it burns out.

https://www.windycityparrot.com/lig...-p-3559.html?zenid=0sfo6oesh18ttnhhtgsccurpg0

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hi thanks for responding! I have a nightlight in my bedroom for him the problem- my mom doesn't like nightlights is there anything else i can use that maybe doesnt have a lot of light but still calms him down?

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Lady jane how much is the lamp? I clicked on the link but it froze. Thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Link is good for me. Go to Windy City Parrots and in search window type night frights. Lamp is $20. with a bulb. It does not shine bright, just a soft blue is seen. First time purchasers get 15% off.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
They are prone to that so hence the nightlight.
Rio likes a nightlight too...Big bummer during blackouts as I have to give him a flashlight...LOL
That is too precious. :sad4:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We recently moved our nightlight from the floor level to about 5 feet up. It’s really cut down the night frights. And for some reason I love to go in there during the night and watch them sleep.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Thank you so much! I will use this and maybe also a nightlight!! Thank you Guys SOOOO much for your help!! Kiwi my cockatiel and I appreciate it!! IMG_20180405_190924.jpg
:bliss:kiwi visiting my parakeets

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That is too precious. :sad4:
It was scary...we had the lights out a few times in the summer & sometimes for a long time. Once at night Rio started flapping his wings so had to set up a flashlight by his cage so he would not hurt himself. He's always had a nightlight & he does not like to sleep in the dark.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I was sleeping and it was about 6:49 a.m when i started to hear clanging at the botton of the cage and i started panicking not knowing what to do i turned on the light kiwi immediately looked at me and stopped panicking he climbed back up to his perch and everything was normal i went to go check to see if he was alright i found 2 feathers at the bottom of the cage thank goodness they were not blood feathers i checked for bleeding in any areas and saw nothing relieved i went back to bed. Later when i woke up i scanned him for anything abnormal and i found a dry blood spot i missed last night. The bleeding had seized and he was alright. I gave him a millet and he took it. Thank you guys for helping me so he does not end up actually hurting himself very badly. Kiwi and i appreciate it soo much!!:bliss:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Murphy lost just about all fail feathers. Budgie s have NFs too which surprised me. I have wondered if you birds dream and or nightmares. If you read about avian night flights there are no definite causes.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
If they do have nightmares i bet the one your budgie and my cockatiel had were pretty bad nightmares.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome