• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Nesting Advice ??

boguesmom

Checking out the neighborhood
We do not know much, but how to put out food/ water perches and "toys" for our "rescued" cockatiels. Our neighbors were going to release them because they were moving and couldn't take them, and for fear of cats getting them, we gave them a 20 X 10 wire meshed aviary in which to fly on a more private porch of our home near our steel drum and acoustic music area where they seem to LOVE the music and more often will fly over and find a front row perch while we are playing and always "sing along. " I hope it is that they like the music, and not that they are annoyed! Either way, They recently found a spot and laid some eggs under some decor that happened to be in there. I suppose it is the "hen" that has disappeared from the front row seats to the studio to sit in this private area these last weeks. In the beginning, a week or so ago, we noticed one egg out about two feet away from the area ( we thought it had rolled out, so we used gloves and put it back several times until we noticed she was putting it out of the area. We respected her choices and gave her nesting materials incase that was the issue and she rejected the nesting materials as well. This behavior was followed by the "rejection" of another egg. She continues to sit in the very protected area and we cannot see if she is still sitting on an or several or no eggs. It has been 2 weeks, and she peeks out of a little crevice occasionally if we look in. We have moved the food/ water closer making sure she gets food and water. The other bird ( I do not know if it is a male or female seems to sit "watch" just over the area and watches us. She/ he used to fly around more and perch in various areas originally. Please advise as to anything we should be learning/ doing to help this situation. we do not mind having eggs, but would hate to allow any harm to happen to them out of ignorance.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

Thank you for recognizing what your neighbors were doing was wrong and taking these babies in!

I'm sure someone here can offer some helpful advice!