• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel neck hole, cone of shame

urvogel

Moving in
my bby got the cone of shame for plucking her feathers but the vet just stapeld it on her... ive noticed she had a little trobule sleeping so i thought to make her a cone that can be put on and off so she can sleep more comfortable and eat.
can someone help me for the neck hole measurment

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What kind of collar did your vet provide? My Opie has had to wear collars because he occasionally picks at his own skin. His are made of a no-pill fleece material. As far as the size of the neck opening, I would just use a piece of fabric to "measure" your bird's neck allowing for a finger to slip in between the fabric and the neck so there is room to eat and breathe.

Also, I would caution you about leaving the collar off at night because birds who pluck will do so at night, too. I know it's not fun for the bird, but they do get used to it to a certain extent. Having a few on hand is a good idea so there is one available for your bird to wear while others are being cleaned.

urvogel

Moving in
What kind of collar did your vet provide? My Opie has had to wear collars because he occasionally picks at his own skin. His are made of a no-pill fleece material. As far as the size of the neck opening, I would just use a piece of fabric to "measure" your bird's neck allowing for a finger to slip in between the fabric and the neck so there is room to eat and breathe.

Also, I would caution you about leaving the collar off at night because birds who pluck will do so at night, too. I know it's not fun for the bird, but they do get used to it to a certain extent. Having a few on hand is a good idea so there is one available for your bird to wear while others are being cleaned.
the vet made it form some plastic and wrapped medical tape around it, theres no bird collars made in bosnia

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet has a client who makes them. She has a bird who needs one, and she decided to make them for others as well. Can you sew? You can make them yourself if you can! I’ve tried making my own. They aren’t very pretty, but they work! I use Velcro to close the collars.
574644CF-0E75-4414-8E93-895A76FCE6CE.jpeg
This is one I purchased from my vet’s office as an example. The picture below is my Opie wearing one of his collars.
C917A716-5608-483B-AD33-D4160549904F.jpeg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Kassiani it looks like a scrunchie on him! I love it :roflmao:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I know nothing about collars but what do you mean by staple it on?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
my bby got the cone of shame for plucking her feathers but the vet just stapeld it on her... ive noticed she had a little trobule sleeping so i thought to make her a cone that can be put on and off so she can sleep more comfortable and eat.
It is something that is very different for them and it can get in their way while they adjust. Trust the process!
Be sure there´s nothing your bird can get stuck on, perches, etc.

what do you mean by staple it on?
They draw it on plastic, cut it out, then staple it together once put around the birds neck, then tape goes over the staples to protect it.
I had one on Nube the other year. This is an elizabethan collar.

edit, OK, forgive how dirty it is, it's been rattling around the toolbox for years,
IMG_20230131_145903.jpg where the slit is is stapled over the slit after put on the bird, then taped over to cover the staples.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Having coned birds before, it’s honestly a pain in the butt. The exotics vet who would do it also hated the hard plastic ones because of what @Zara mentioned - they get stuck. On the food dish, the cage bars, the cage floor… a bird in a cone that panics is horrible. She would make soft ones that would fold downward from the neck. It impeded flight, BUT would stop the bird from being able to chew on themselves.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Years ago, my Juju had to have the plastic cone after injuring his toe and having to have it removed (yes, he's my 7-toed wonder). This cone has snaps so it can be removed. I still have it somewhere.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Cone of love not shame. "You have to wear this because I love you so much and don't want you to hurt yourself."

Last edited: