• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel mirror/video/sound aggression

Dudedre

Moving in
My male cockatiel is usually pretty comfortable and loving around me if not somewhat indifferent, but I’ve noticed something weird lately. I know not to give my cockatiel mirrors as they tend to get obsessive over them, but sometimes my cockatiel finds a way to talk to his own shadow/reflection. Usually its fine and if I take him away early enough he doesnt seem to mind but if im too late to notice he gets really aggressive about me asking him to step up. I also played some cockatiel videos for him so maybe he’d feel less lonely and the exact same thing happened. Maybe the simple solution is making sure access to these things is limited since these are both things that I can control with relative ease. My concern is making sure my boy is happy. If I get a second tiel will he become aggressive toward me? Is getting a second tiel even something to consider since im spending so much time with him? Has anyone experienced similar? How do we work on this behavior?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
bump

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They do love their reflection, and I think he was saying “don’t bother me right now! Can’t you see m talking to this bird?”
Getting a second bird will be fine, though I caution you that it will change your relationship with him. He will enjoy being with the new bird and will need you a little less.
Personally I don’t see anything to work on. He’s a tiel being a tiel. :)