• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel mating me

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello, lol as you can see by the title my cockatiel has started mating my sweater. It’s the first time he has done it, at least I think that’s what he’s doing. He will wag his tail and rub his butt on me.

hes my only bird so he doesn’t have a mate, I’d like some advice how to not encourage this behavior please! I put him back in his cage once he does it and try distract him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Definitely discourage it by removing him from the situation. I wouldn't cage him though.
Try making sure that particular sweater and other items of yours he takes a shine to are stored away.
If he mates his own toys, leave him at it.
When he tries to mate you, put him down on the nearest bird safe surface so he knows your don't accept his advances.

Couplef with this, be sure you're not touching him inappropriately (tail, back, crop etc only pet top of head and avoid petting while very hormonal )

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I was doing that, but today he started doing it to his silverbeet leaf how do I stop this one. I tried distracting him

is this the season that hormones for cockatiels are up?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was doing that, but today he started doing it to his silverbeet leaf how do I stop this one. I tried distracting him

is this the season that hormones for cockatiels are up?
If your bird is doing this stuff on his toys, perches or other objects in his cage you simply leave him be and let him enjoy himself, better he does this than get stressed and frustrated - you only want to redirect the behaviour if it is on you or with things that may cause a problem such as your belongings.