• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel making a strange noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citronlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I apologize if this isn't the right section to post this thread in...
My cockatiel Fiona has been making a strange sound, not every day, and it KIND of sounds like she's hiccuping. She moves her beak in a strange way when she does so as well.
She's eating fine, playing, flying, cuddling, and drinking water. However I think she may be sleeping a little bit more, and I have noticed some diarrhea.

Any thoughts?? I may take her to the vet soon. Might have to drive 2.5 hours to get to a decent one though if this proves to be complicated.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Do you have pictures of the poops? Do you have a video of Fiona doing her beak in this manner and making the sound? It could be that Fiona is beak grinding birds that beakgrind will move their beaks funny and make a sound when doing it, this is normal.

How long have you had Fiona? Has she seen the vet at all?

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I could take some pictures later on if the problem persists. And no it isn't beak grinding, I do recognize that behaviour, and it sounds respiratory related. I will try to get a video but she usually only makes this noise for a few moments and then quits for a while. She's just over 1.5 years old and hasn't been to the vet yet. I haven't had her for too long, maybe 6 months?

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I suppose the way to describe her beak moving is like she's yawning/clearing her crop. However that doesn't seem to be what's actually going on.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would take her to the vet if you can-things can go downhill so fast! Many good thoughts and prayers for you little girl!:hug8::hug8:

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
Yes I think I will bring her tomorrow, as it's Sunday and she's been behaving normally for the past few hours. Thanks so much! I'm sure she feels the love

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
has she eaten anything new lately? this could be the cause of the diarhhea....also if she is continuously clearing her crop..that is not good..several times a day is ok..but more than that is a sign of an infection..I would take her to a vet for sure

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
No she hasn't eaten anything new lately. Sometimes if I make pasta for dinner I give her some, because all my 'tiels have LOVED their pasta. But that was a few days/a week ago, so I'm not sure what the cause of her diarrhea would be. And then her stools change throughout the day to be solid, or runny. Not sure why....
She's not continuously clearing it... maybe twice a day at most.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
How is your little girl feeling today?

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh trust me I know all about bratty/naughty birds.. :lol: Honestly, I dont' think I've ever seen a bird hiccup before.. But my Mikey has gasped for air before and it turned out he had a mrsa infection on the roof of his mouth.. So you just never know with birds.. Its just best to bring them over to the avian vet for a checkup.. :hug8: Good luck with everything.. :hug8:

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
Oh trust me I know all about bratty/naughty birds.. :lol: Honestly, I dont' think I've ever seen a bird hiccup before.. But my Mikey has gasped for air before and it turned out he had a mrsa infection on the roof of his mouth.. So you just never know with birds.. Its just best to bring them over to the avian vet for a checkup.. :hug8: Good luck with everything.. :hug8:
Yes, it'll be best to bring her to the vet in any case. Birds are so good at hiding things! Thanks for the luck, I hope that it turns out she's fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.