• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel lost voice

Findingblu

Checking out the neighborhood
Okay so it’s a long journey hope you guys can help me. My 2 year old female cockatiel started having a raspy voice exactly a month ago. I took her to vet as soon as her voice changed. We were on antibiotics for 2 weeks that seem to give her some energy but didn’t help with her voice.
I took her again after 2 weeks and gave anti inflammatory this time. Tomorrow marks the last day of anti inflammatory medicine.
Her voice didn’t change at all and even worse she almost lost all her voice and she has become somewhat more sleepy in last couple days. She doesn’t even try to chirp...
At this point I’m depressed. I’m doing everything in my power and nothing seems to be helping. I have been giving her medicine every night wrapping her in a towel and she stopped resisting lately she just struggles doesn’t make a noise it’s deteriorating me mentally I’m feeling so bad for putting her through that stress with no tangible outcomes. It hurts me seeing her depressed like that.
Vet said it’s not aspergillosis and that she probably has nodules by her voice box. He said he will start a cortisone treatment with nebulizer if anti inflammatory doesn’t work which means we will start on cortisones in next week after checking on her again.
I am open to all your suggestions, why would she lose her voice for no reason? Her droppings are normal and she is eating. I am gonna lose my mind for not knowing. Please do let me know if you had faced this before! Thanks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry you and your little bird are going through this. I’m sorry I can’t be much help, but hopefully somebody will come along who might have some ideas. I hope your bird will be okay!
:hug8:

Findingblu

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much! It’s really deteriorating when you are doing everything you can and it’s not helping even a little bit :( I’m taking her to the best bird vet around, people from other cities driving to see this vet. He treated a budgies cancer in 2 weeks, I just don’t understand how why my baby is not getting any better :(

I’m so sorry you and your little bird are going through this. I’m sorry I can’t be much help, but hopefully somebody will come along who might have some ideas. I hope your bird will be okay!
:hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My first thought would have been aspergillosis, since loss of voice is one of the classic symptoms. Has she had an xray done to check out for something going on in her lungs? Has she been checked for any other fungal infection? Has the Dr. done a culture and sensitivity on her? With her symptoms it seems that there is some sort of disease (infection going on).

I hope you find out soon.